If marijuana is legalized in your state, do you think bars/taverns should be allowed to serve drinks laced with THC/cannabis?

Most of us have friends who are teetotalers....or who are very light drinkers of alcohol. Some of those same people, however, do enjoy marijuana occasionally. So, if/when marijuana is legalized, should bars & taverns be part of the distribution network?

FYI > For those who have NOT done their homework & researched the topic, THC is the active ingredient in pot / weed that makes a person high. Cannabis is the horticultural term (latin) for the family that the marijuana plant belongs to.

@Athena: your unsubtle sarcasm has been duly noted. I know a number of people who are not fond of alcohol--in one case, an allergy is involved. So, despite your smug certainty that people who do not like getting boozed up also shun marijuana intoxication--there are many such people out there!! Including "ex-hippies" but many others who are mainly people born & raised in the last 30 years.

CORRECTION: [SHOULD HAVE SAID: "......there are many such people out there who DO LIKE getting high with marijuana but are not fans of drinking....." etc.]

Favorite Answer

I would not oppose that, but it should be under the same regulations that alcoholic drinks are.

Nope I don't think they should serve it, I don't think it should be something served in a public place, I really don't think alcohol should be served in a public place either though. Marijuana should be legalized but serving it in bars would only allow people to get drunk and stoned, which is not a good combination. There will always be that one person who ruins it for the rest of society. So why not just make it something you do at home or private parties, not served in bars in other words. At some point someone will go out after having the marijuana at the bar and hurt someone. Drinking 2 beers and eating the THC would impair someone's ability to drive much more than just two beers.

There are people trying to get Pot illegal again in Colorado because children have gotten ahold of the edibles. They want to ban edibles even, which is stupid. I would think it would be the parents responsibility to keep the laced edibles out of their children's hands. But somehow they try to blame the packaging of the product. Why is it never the irresponsible persons fault?

No, I don't think that's necessarily a good idea. I'm not opposed to legalized cannabis, but everyone knows that mixing alcohol and cannabis can be highly intoxicating. I doubt any state will find that acceptable.

• Hugo90

It is legal here. I don't think serving in bars is a good idea. For now, use in private is the best plan.

• Jay R

Serving a double intoxicant would double the impairment of any driver who visited the bar/tavern. No, pot and alcohol ought not be mixed except at home.

• notned

Coffee shops are legal hang out in Amsterdam

• Athena

So, should people who do not drink be allowed to buzz their socks off with THC laden drinks? Because people who do not drink are always in favor of getting stoned, right?

Under strict supervision backed by strong regulatory legislation, yes.

• If the customer asks for it, sure.