Kari
Kari asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 5 years ago

What is the origin of this food dish?....?

My mom makes this all the time

BTW we live in louisiana

Corn mixed with dice bell peppers, onions, and celery. With choped smoked sausage in. All of it is over white rice.

please tell me....

• Jane
    Favorite Answer

Sounds like gumbo to me- I usually make it on the stove top, and no need to cook for so long!

• nascar88gyrl
      5 years agoReport

I've never eaten or made gumbo with corn. I've never seen a gumbo recipe with corn. Most gumbo is made with the trinity (celery, onion and bell peppers), tomatoes, shrimp, oysters, crab, sausage, chicken, spices and the roux (fat and flour).

Did you ask your mom where she learned to cook it?

That should be your first question.

Fact is there are food combinations that originated right in the kitchen when some mom didn't have much to make into a meal and improvised. You won't find those improvisations in any cookbook unless they become widespread.

Most are just within that particular family.

EDIT: Sounds to me like Jane is on the right track. Or maybe its your moms version of jambalaya.

Bottom line? Ask your mom. ONLY she would know what its called, if anything or who she learned it from.

Why don't you just ask your mom?