Ebony asked in PetsDogs · 5 years ago

can dogs be trained to not touch the baby?

Not going to go into deep details but my Baby has lower functioning immunity system. She's expected to outgrow it a year or so. But I feel extremely uncomfortable with our dog placing her face in hers or licking her but don't want to get rid of dog if she can be taught not to go near the baby. I'm always worried if dog where some of infections are coming from. The doctor thinks so. Is this possible? We are willing to give up the dog if needed but just curious. I don't know much about them. She's actually my husbands but she is a 2 year old Labrador mix.

Favorite Answer

Yes you can keep the dog from going near your baby. You basically keep the baby around you when the dog is present and you say no and make the dog back up any time it goes near the baby. Eventually the dog will start to realize that you don't want him near the baby. You can also create a boundary line for example a door way to a room or a carpet. Then anytime the dog stands on the carpet or crosses the line, you tell him no and make him give you the space you desire. You have to be persistent and keep at it but it can be done.

We trained all of our dogs to stay off a blanket, any blanket, on the floor so we could lay babies on it and they'd be left alone. That was easy even with the wolfhound who is dumb as a box of rocks.

I'm guessing it will be relatively easy to train them to stay away from the baby. Labradors are smart and trainable. BUT, your doctor is an idiot if he thinks infections are coming from your dog. babies will some times pick up something from a tick on a dog, or get worms from playing with poop, but even parvo isn't communicable to babies. Don't get rid of the dog if she's going to outgrow this in a year. That isn't that long and I'm sure you can teach him to avoid her.

Keep them separated and constantly supervised. As no dog will put up with un-intended abuse from a child.

• Ebony5 years agoReport

.??? What are you talking about.

claro! Y si tu perro es mas joven mejor lo que tienes que hacer es cada vez que se acerque al bebé regañarle al perro pero nunca pegarle por que si le pegas cada vez lo va a hacer peor.