What's the difference between majoring in environmental engineer, environmental studies, and and environmental science?

And any other majors involving conservation and the environment.

Favorite Answer

From what I researched when I was interested in this, environmental science is using scientific principles to discover the science, mechanisms, functions, gradual and present changes of the environment. They are the ones who say what causes global warming and what is needed to fix the problem. They also are the ones who discover new things in the environment. eg how the environment responds to certain stimuli. They use biology, chemistry, physics and geology to explain these things of course specialized towards the environment meaning you would only learn things that are necessary for you to understand what is happening in the environment. So for biology you might not go deep into biochemistry you might just stay into ecology and a few genetics courses. In chemistry you would not be learning about the atoms and non-organic chemistry but you would learn pH acid and base, analytical chemistry, environmental chemistry and some organic. Physics you will be learning about probably light and some radiation, geology you would learn a lot of the courses I presume, probably not the physical geology courses. The job and pay is okay, you would need a Phd however to get paid decent and the places you would work will be limited mostly to rural areas and a lot of field and lab work.

Environmental studies honestly you should not choose. It is not the science aspect it just teaches about the environment not how it functions or how to conserve it. You might touch slightly in the sciences but not at all very much. You would learn things like why is global warming bad, and the sociological economical impact of the environment. To me it is basically a geography degree. I would not do it, it has a low pay you still would need a Phd if you want to really reach anywhere decent, I would not do it honestly.

Environmental engineering is the best out of the three in my opinion especially if you want to work in conservation. A lot of it is tied with civil engineering, you might even qualify for some civil jobs if you know how to work your course choices right. As I said many courses are civil and even mechanical but more leaning towards the environment. You would definitely learn conservation as that is what environmental engineering is about. Designing new tools and methods to conserve, mend and improve the environment. It is different from the sciences as you would not really be learning about what causes per say a thunderstorm or doing a research on the impacts of methane gas on the ozone layer. You would be the one who says how can I fix the problem, what device can I make to reduce the methane gas that is already there and to prevent more form building up. You would touch on how and why there is a lot of methane gas there in the first place but you would not do research on it, that is for the scientist.

I think it's the best one out of the three, it has the best pay and you do not really have to do a Phd you can get a good job that pays well out of school but if you want to specialize into something then you could. As a engineering degree it has a lot of math and physics, if you are not good in those subjects try improving or the sciences. But even the sciences has a lot of math mainly statistics but still math.

But environmental engineering is definitely the best one in terms of opportunities and salary.