Does it work to say "thoughts flowing vast" in a poem?

What I'm wondering about is the word "vast". I'm not completely sure what it means, but it rhymes good, and if it means what I think it means it fits good. But I also wonder if the word can be used like that? It shouldn't be very grammatically correct ofcourse cuz its a poem, but still somewhat correct. And I also wonder if thoughts can, like, flow vast?

• John P
    Favorite Answer

"Vast" seems very strange in that context, and should really have the adverbial form (vastly) which would ruin the line. Do you mean "a large number of thoughts"? Or possibly "fast"? Or possibly "...flowing past"?

"Vast" means "very large", and might be applied to a skyscraper, or a huge sum of money, or the waist size of an obese person.

• Bill5 years agoReport

Thank you! Fast is the word which the the past line ends with so it wouldn't work, but past could work, maybe!

Not a good idea to use words if you don't know what they mean!

Vast is an adjective and means huge, enormous, very extensive - so thoughts can't "flow vast". You need an adverb.

• Ray

It's fine.

This is an example of the use of a "bare adjective" - an adjective form used as adverb. I can only assume few users here read anything literary/poetic, because it's perfectly normal in poetry - and in fact in any literary context, if you have the sense to believe the evidence of educated usage over the half-truths taught by teachers who want to suck every scrap of class and individuality out of prose.

Such constructions are very frequent in literary English: "run silent", "run deep", "strike true", "rest easy", "breathe deep", "sing clear", "run free", "sing loud", "run loose" ... etc.

=quote=

Adverbs in adjective form have been around in English since forever, or at least since the fall of final short e, which was the original adverb ending. In OE, we had a contrast between læt 'slow' and læte 'slowly', but later these came to be pronounced identically. Similar stories stand behind go fast and hit hard and many other adverbs, most of them monosyllabic.

- Saying it plain, The Economist, Jul 19th 2010 http://www.economist.com/blogs/johnson/2010/07/gra...

Amid this vague uncertainty, who walks safe?

- Language Log (the linguistics weblog) http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archive...

=unquote=

• Bill5 years agoReport

Sorry, I didn't see this answer before I choose the best answer! It's very well written. It's true about the grammatical part, but still, can the world be used to describe an abstract noun like "toughts"? Others said it's better used for describing physical things?

How about `thoughts flowing fast?` Vast doesn`t work here.

Since the word describes "thoughts" you would need to use the adverb form "vastly". However "thoughts flowing vastly" sounds awkward. How about "vastly flowing thoughts"? Vast means enormous or countless.

• roger

I would say " thoughts flowing past"

• mark

from far and wide thought flew avast