promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

My friend's Spanish teacher asked me if I was an exchange student, should I be offended?

I am a girl who wears the hijab (100% American though)

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The teacher probably just assumed only native Arabs wear the hijab, and didn't realize Arab Americans can wear it too. I imagine they probably don't meet many Arabs, and just didn't know. No harm done.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Alex
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

Why would you be offended?

Wow someone thinks I might be a foreigner because I don't look like a normal American... I am just so offended I can't even say no to the teacher's question without making a big deal about it

• 5 years ago

don't worry about it too much. People make mistakes all the time, and if you take them personally, you'll end up upset all of the time.

Though, it probably would have been funny if you had told your friend's teacher that you were from either Spain or Mexico.

• Alice
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

I don't know why you would find that offensive. I hope you told her that you were an American, and that there are many Muslim Americans. You can only combat ignorance with education. You would not want her to think that Muslims walk around with chips on their shoulder, I'm sure.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

100% American? sure? or maybe because your semitic look?in any case not everyone looks the same in America ,. some ppl look ethnic you cannot deny it.. I can tell almost all the time who's all American and who's a gumba ,a jewish , an armo

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

I find that odd considering Spanish people are two shades from looking like the darkest Arab or Italian. Whether you are or not it's still odd.

• 5 years ago

You cant be offended by some peoples ignorance.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

How is your teacher supposed to guess who or what is hiding under a Hijab?

• Mark
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

Nope... Simply say "no, I'm American"...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.