My friend's Spanish teacher asked me if I was an exchange student, should I be offended?

I am a girl who wears the hijab (100% American though)

Favorite Answer

The teacher probably just assumed only native Arabs wear the hijab, and didn't realize Arab Americans can wear it too. I imagine they probably don't meet many Arabs, and just didn't know. No harm done.

• Alex

Why would you be offended?

Wow someone thinks I might be a foreigner because I don't look like a normal American... I am just so offended I can't even say no to the teacher's question without making a big deal about it

don't worry about it too much. People make mistakes all the time, and if you take them personally, you'll end up upset all of the time.

Though, it probably would have been funny if you had told your friend's teacher that you were from either Spain or Mexico.

• Alice

I don't know why you would find that offensive. I hope you told her that you were an American, and that there are many Muslim Americans. You can only combat ignorance with education. You would not want her to think that Muslims walk around with chips on their shoulder, I'm sure.

100% American? sure? or maybe because your semitic look?in any case not everyone looks the same in America ,. some ppl look ethnic you cannot deny it.. I can tell almost all the time who's all American and who's a gumba ,a jewish , an armo

I find that odd considering Spanish people are two shades from looking like the darkest Arab or Italian. Whether you are or not it's still odd.

You cant be offended by some peoples ignorance.

How is your teacher supposed to guess who or what is hiding under a Hijab?

• Mark

Nope... Simply say "no, I'm American"...