anxiety about ingrown toenail, what do I do?!?

so for awhile now I've had problems with ingrown toenails on and off, but recently I've been having terrible anxiety problems and I am so scared of going to the doctor, and I have ingrown toenails on both of my big toes but it's the worst on my right one, and for some reason I feel like I stub it a lot more when I have them? if that makes any sense, I don't mean to but it just happens. and I noticed last time I stubbed it a few hours later there was some dry blood, I figured it was from stubbing it, and so just a few minutes ago I stubbed it again and looked and its bleeding, I soaked my feet in some Epsom salt before it happened, but I don't know what to do now, it's making my anxiety horrible because I'm pretty sure it's infected because it's kind of pussing every now and then, and it once was hurt so bad I couldn't sleep. I don't know what to do because I'm too scared to go to the doctor, and I heard it can become life threatening, and it's just really scaring me, is there anything I can do to relieve my anxiety over this?! and the pain it's causing me, any advice would help at this point, I just don't want to have to get surgery

thanks for your time!!

Favorite Answer

okay firstly breath! calm down you will not die :p but maybe you should go to the doctor, i had a bad ingrown toenail for years which i eventually heals myself but it can be hard to do, my sister had a very bad one where her sock was stuck to her foot and she had to go doctor and get op, her problem was leaving it too long and not doing anything about it, if you treat it in time it should be fine.

firstly try treat it yourself so as to avoid your fear of doctor, clean with salt water and cotton pads try push squeeze the pus out its an infection and you need to get it out of your body, put some anti septic on it natural if possible like tea tree oil, that **** works for everything swear by it ;) if you can let the air at it for as often as possible and if you must wear socks and shoes keep them light and loose and change regularly. if you can take ibuprofen to take down any swelling and pain and cut you nails only straight across, it was very hard for me to do this i was addicted to cutting as much nail off as possible so always cut down at the side, then your nail gets confused and starts growing out the side into your flesh so dont do that just cut across and cut regularly but not so often your hurting yourself. yours really doesnt sound that bad at all compared to what ive experienced and mine went away on its on and never came back that was years ago now :) if my advice doesnt work and you dont see improvement go to the foot doctor or even regular gp and bite the bullet, they will fix it and you will finally be better, no need to stress about it. if you leave it a very bad infection could give you blood poisoning and you can lose a foot or leg but that will not happen you because you had the sense to come one here for advice and you wont let it get that bad. good luck youll be grand ;) x

• TedEx

If you have anxiety over an ingrown toenail i would hate to see how you would react to severe chest pains or sever shortness of breath. For C&)%)&%& sake it's a freakin' toenail. You won;t die from it. See a PODIATRIST

• milliedawn4 years agoReport

obviously you've never endured it, the pain is excruciating. And before it can be surgically removed, you have to go through the needle numbing process. Try sticking a huge needle into your toe and foot several times and see if you have any anxiety.

Take off your shoe & show her. YOU are making this a big deal. Do you want to ruin the whole Africa trip over an ingrown toenail??? You just march right over there, get your big girl panties on, & take care of this.