What s the difference between a belief and a religion?

• Haeo

A religion is a set of practices, routines, actions and/or beliefs based around a certain belief in (usually) a divine entity.

A belief is simply an acceptance that someone may have, that something is true, which may or may not involve absolutely concrete proof. A belief can be about anything, divine or otherwise.

A religion is what you think is going to happen once you die, or the belief in most anything spiritual. A belief is a general acceptance of virtually anything. For example, I don't believe in unicorns.

A religion is a belief. But a belief is not a religion

Example:

All mogs are pogs. But not all pigs are mogs.

Belief is a very general term.

Religion is a type of belief.

A religion is a shared history and environment where spirituality can be shared between individuals and cultures and across generations. A belief (in the religious sense) is an element of your spirituality which may be private or shared within your religion.

• ?

A religion is a faith-based belief system regarding the supernatural.

A belief is merely something that somebody thinks is true.

• John

Belief is the car Religion is to show how the engine works and where to put the fuel in. If you buy into both the next step is to drive it and see how far it goes

I can believe something because the preponderance of evidence compels me to do so. Religions require faith, which is belief w/o evidence.

People with beliefs tend to be realistic about them: they assign a level of confidence to each belief, for example:

1. I'm 100% certain I exist

2. I'm 99.9999% certain that Obama exists (actually I met him once and shook his hand even)

3. I'm 99.999% certain that Reagan existed.

4. I'm 99.99% certain that Robespierre existed

5. I'm 99.9% certain that Caesar existed.

6. I'm about 50% certain that Jesus existed.

7. I'm about 0.000000000001% certain that Jesus did any miracles.

Religious people tend to be 100% certain on all their beliefs, because they have to be. They believe their god will punish them for thought crimes if they have doubts. See my source.

"...belief is not a choice. It's a compulsion, beyond the realm of choice, achieved through convincing arguments, evidence and trust. I do not choose what I believe because I perceive it as the more attractive option. I'm compelled to believe what I think is true whether I like it or not, because desirability is not a requisite of the truth."

http://tinyurl.com/oytsccc

Religion is a set of actions you perform as a result of your beliefs. It is living out your beliefs.

A general belief can change over time.

A belief held religiously, by definition, doesn't.

Atheism is a belief, Christianity is a religion.