Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 5 years ago

What is the significance of Holden Caulfield's dream of being a "catcher in the rye"?

Best Answer

As a kid, he lost his younger brother tragically to leukemia. This traumatic event compromised his own childhood innocence, as he was not emotionally mature enough to cope with such a loss. Thus he developed the desire to shelter and protect other children from being victims.

"What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff - I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them."

Catcher in the ryes holden caulfield is a happy characheter, and his dream is to fall off his bike, no one knows why but

• robert

if a body meet a body, coming through the rye...

he misquotes the song. i remember that. his sister has to correct. maybe, just maybe, he isn't as smart as he thinks he is?