Senior citizens: Did students of your era give Valentine and Christmas cards to classmates?

I went to a public grade school---kindergarten to sixth grade---in San Francisco, California (United States) from 1954 to 1961.

In grade school, the students gave Valentine and Christmas cards to classmates and other students in the school. Unfortunately, the result of students giving cards to classmates during school time was that popular children received many cards, while the less popular children received few or no cards.

• Kai
    Favorite Answer

Yea, students exchanged V cards--but the school rule was that if you wanted to give ANY V cards out, you had to give one to everyone in your class so no one felt ignored. Thus, everyone got those V cards that were perforated and the kids just had to punch them out. We had between 32-40 kids per class so it'd have been too prohibitive to buy cards for everyone any other way, and most kids didn't want to take the time to be making 40 cards by hand. But not holiday cards since we had such a mix of ethnicities and religions; kids would sometimes bring in cookies for everyone though because anyone could enjoy a cookie no matter what religion or culture they were.

• Judith

Graduated 1964. I remember exchanging Valentine cards in either the 7th or 8th grade. I also remember that one very popular girl received a kazillion more valentines than anyone else. Hopefully there weren't any members of the class who didn't get any - how sad would that be? Frankly I think it's a bad idea to allow the exchange of Valentines unless required to give one to everyone in ones class - particularly in this day and age when things like that seem to matter so much. Don't remember doing so at any other time and we never exchanged Christmas cards.

I seem to have developed some kind of mental block about this. I remember exchanging Valentines but I don't remember Christmas cards or parties, or anything to do with Easter. And after grade school, nothing at all. In the 7th grade I brought the usual Valentines to school but I was a little embarrassed when I found out nobody else did, so I ended up pitching them. I never told my mom about it.

Just Valentine Cards.

• Med 10

We had Valentine party's. Christmas exchange party's, Halloween party's, made turkey decorations for Thanksgiving / Santa's,/ hearts for Valentines day Easter decorations to put on the school windows etc. The 50's / 60's were the fun times. Now some might get offended now because of what we did.

• John S
      5 years agoReport

The plural of party is parties.

• John S

Valentine's, yes, in grade school in the 50s in L.A. (I had pink eye one year and the teacher made my mother bake all the cards before I could bring them to school!) Not Christmas (remember, school was out for Christmas).

Valentine cards only. I think we were required to give one to everyone in the class.

Yes.

• Kini

Yes, I remember that. I had forgotten till you mentioned it.

• Judee

Only to my friend as far as I can remember.