promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Kari
Lv 4
Kari asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 5 years ago

Is my great grandpa Native American? Help?

I'm form New Orleans louisiana and i've been trying to find some information on my great grandpa Kirby Jones and his family. I searched and can't find and can't find any document. In the pic he is caramel colored with blonde hair i thought he was mulatto or a dark white but if he was documents would be easy to find i searched the surname and its of Welish and Choctow orgin please help...

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Jones is from English medieval language origins. It derives either from the male given name John, or its female equivalent Joan, so comes from any country in the World which spoke, heard or was influenced by the English language, that means three quarters of the Worlds countries, so surname hunting will never tell you which country ancestors came from EVER

Could this be your Great Grandpa married to Helen? If so he was classed in the 1940 census as white

Name: Kirby J Jones

Event Type: Census

Event Date: 1940

Event Place: Chatham, Police Jury Ward 7, Jackson, Louisiana, United States

Marital Status: Married

Race (Original): White

Race: White

Relationship to Head of Household (Original): Son-In-Law

Relationship to Head of Household: Son-in-law

Birthplace: Louisiana

Birth Year (Estimated): 1919

Last Place of Residence: Rural, Lincoln, Louisiana

Household Role Gender Age Birthplace

John W Womack Head M 46 Louisiana

Velda V Womack Wife F 34 Louisiana

Bettie Jo Womack Daughter F 7 Louisiana

Kirby J Jones Son-in-law M 21 Louisiana

Helen A Jones Daughter F 20 Louisiana

• Kari
      Lv 4
      5 years agoReport

Think you so much for your help

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 5 years ago

If you are trying to find out if you have Native American ancestry you don't search surnames and genealogist don't give a whit what people look like. Start with yourself and work back one generation at a time. If you want ideas on how to do that look at the resolved questions or come back and ask another question. There are lots of good people here that can give you some great advice.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Jones is English in origin, not Native American. Surname searches will always lead you down dead ends.

• 5 years ago

"Jones" is not a Choctaw name. Did your grandparents have US citizenship? Did they own property? Then they weren't native American. Check the census records and see how he is listed. Native americans are VERY well documented, the government makes sure of that. (we couldn't vote until the 1980's)

• Kari
      Lv 4
      5 years agoReport

He was a deadbeat dad so its hard to find information on him Thinks, asdzani

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.