Anonymous

Is this a good career move?

I am in 8th grade, ever since I was in 1st grade I have wanted to be a Marine Biologist in Sweden. This year I applied to an environmental ag. school that has classes on Aquaculture. It turns out I got into the school so next year (freshman year) I will be attending this school. However when I graduate school I want to go to collage in Sweden and get a ph.d if all goes well I would like to live in Sweden. My parents however are not excepting of this and thinks it will be a bad career move. So I guess my question is do you think its a good idea to go to college in Sweden and get my ph.d??? THANK YOU!!!!

Favorite Answer

List of courses in Sweden under heading "marinbiologi" http://allastudier.se/utbildningar/?q=marinbiologi

If you Google "sverige marinbiologi" you will get more about the courses.

This newspaper article says there are few marine biology jobs in Sweden http://www.hd.se/halla-angelholm/2014/04/02/jobbet...

Remember the Baltic is a backwater (literally!) in biological terms - the great oceans are where the action is.

I understand where you're coming from... Its hard when not even your parents accept who you are. I will tell you that do whatever you feel is right. and if that means going to sweden to make your dream come true then go ahead!

• Ha, that just one thing that my parents do except about me. Its hard being a sibling of 8. But thank you this means alot. You truly gave me a new perspective on things!
      Thank you so much!!

If you are fluent in Swedish it might be a good idea but you need to be able to do work at the graduate level in Swedish.

• I have been learning Swedish for the past 2 months with help from my schools language teacher. I have also been looking into there college graduate levels.
      Thank you!

Have you ever been to Sweden? Maybe you should visit first and make sure you like it.

• Unfortunately no, my family is VERY low on money especially since I have 3 older siblings only a year apart in colleges. However I have been saving up money since the beging of my 8th grade year hoping to have enough to take a trip to Sweden or save for college.

If you can speak and understand Swedish very well, go ahead.