Taylor
Taylor asked in PetsDogs · 6 years ago

My dog keeps choking/gagging?

Yesterday, she was really down all day long. She wouldn't eat her breakfast, wouldn't eat any treats.. she took the treat I gave her and buried it outside, we switched her food out for her dinner, and she didn't eat that either. Drank some water but not a lot. Her eyes were really droopy and low, she slept a lot and was also up and down a lot.

Today, we switched her food out for her breakfast, she still didn't touch it, she's been drinking more water and looks better then she did yesterday, she eventually ate a treat and her breakfast, but the only problem now is, she keeps choking/gagging? Like dry heaves I guess you could say? She usually does this after she drinks water, but today, she's doing it a lot even without drinking water?

We're gonna take her to the vet when my dad gets home from work but just curious if anybody has any idea?

Guessing is pointless. The dog needs the vet ASAP. I know of a 2 year old dog who was gagging/choking who had a badly enlarged heart and needed a pacemaker to save her life. Could be kidneys. Could be a great many things. Hopefully your dog's problem will be readily treatable.

None of us are Vets & the only thing we can do is take guesses as to what is wrong. It could be so many different things & we could guess wrong & the dog could be dead by the time your dad gets home from work. What about your mom taking the dog to the Vet? or a neighbor or a friend?

Stop switching foods which will only exacerbate her condition. No one including a vet can diagnose/treat your dog, least of all YA, take it to a vet.

Could be kennel cough, could be upper respiratory disease, could be heart disease. Only your vet will be able to answer your question with any degree of accuracy.