Did my dr perform an unnecessary service?

I visited the eye dr for the first time the other day, and upon determining that I had better than 20/20 vision, she hooked me up to a machine to check if I needed a prescription for eyeglasses. my insurance didn't cover and I owed $40 out of pocket. was this completely unnecessary? if so, to whom can I... show more I visited the eye dr for the first time the other day, and upon determining that I had better than 20/20 vision, she hooked me up to a machine to check if I needed a prescription for eyeglasses. my insurance didn't cover and I owed $40 out of pocket.

was this completely unnecessary? if so, to whom can I complain?

fyi I did mention something to the receptionist to which I got a non-answer. "that's the point of an eye exam, to see if you need glasses".
"but I didn't come for glasses, I came to make sure the medication I was taking wasn't making me go blind."
.....
medicine is all about the effing money.