I need help please this is very hard homework and I was absent so I didn't get to learn about it?

1) Was king writing this letter to a) a fellow clergymen or b) a larger society

Explain your answer

2) name a point that king was arguing

Evidence to support your claim

3) name another point king was arguing

Evidence to support your claim

4) one last point king was arguing

Evidence to support your claim

List four allusions found in the text

5)

6)

7)

8)

Find an example or ethos, pathos, logos in the text. Cite examples other than paragraphs 2,3, and 4

9)

10)

11)

Favorite Answer

Rev Martin Luther King

http://www.africa.upenn.edu/Articles_Gen/Letter_Bi...

1a

9/ 10/ 11/

•Ethos is an appeal to ethics, and it is a means of convincing someone of the character or credibility of the persuader.

" I have the honor of serving as president of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, an organization operating in every southern state, with headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia. We have some eighty five affiliated organizations across the South, and one of them is the Alabama Christian Movement for Human Rights. Frequently we share staff, educational and financial resources with our affiliates. Several months ago the affiliate here in Birmingham asked us to be on call to engage in a nonviolent direct action program if such were deemed necessary. We readily consented, and when the hour came we lived up to our promise. So I, along with several members of my staff, am here because I was invited here. I am here because I have organizational ties here." MLK

•Pathos is an appeal to emotion, and is a way of convincing an audience of an argument by creating an emotional response.

We have waited for more than 340 years for our constitutional and God given rights. The nations of Asia and Africa are moving with jetlike speed toward gaining political independence, but we still creep at horse and buggy pace toward gaining a cup of coffee at a lunch counter. Perhaps it is easy for those who have never felt the stinging darts of segregation to say, "Wait." But when you have seen vicious mobs lynch your mothers and fathers at will and drown your sisters and brothers at whim; when you have seen hate filled policemen curse, kick and even kill your black brothers and sisters; when you see the vast majority of your twenty million ***** brothers smothering in an airtight cage of poverty in the midst of an affluent society; when you suddenly find your tongue twisted and your speech stammering as you seek to explain to your six year old daughter why she can't go to the public amusement park that has just been advertised on television, and see tears welling up in her eyes when she is told that Funtown is closed to colored children, and see ominous clouds of inferiority beginning to form in her little mental sky, and see her beginning to distort her personality by developing an unconscious bitterness toward white people; when you have to concoct an answer for a five year old son who is asking: "Daddy, why do white people treat colored people so mean.?" MLK

•Logos is an appeal to logic, and is a way of persuading an audience by reason.

" You deplore the demonstrations taking place in Birmingham. But your statement, I am sorry to say, fails to express a similar concern for the conditions that brought about the demonstrations. I am sure that none of you would want to rest content with the superficial kind of social analysis that deals merely with effects and does not grapple with underlying causes. It is unfortunate that demonstrations are taking place in Birmingham, but it is even more unfortunate that the city's white power structure left the ***** community with no alternative." MLK

questions 5-8

An allusion is when a person or author makes an indirect reference in speech, text, or song to an event or figure. Often the allusions made are to past events or figures, but sometimes allusions are made to current famous people or events.

He alluded to :

Southern Christian Leadership Conference

Apostle Paul

Jesus Christ

Eugene Connor

Leaders of the Alabama Christian Movement for Human Rights,

• Gordon

I assume that you mean King, with a capitol 'K', as in "The rev. Martin Luther King, jr". Well, in that case, he wrote several letters that have been published. One famous one was from the Montgomery jail. Tha may be the one that you are asking about. But, I can't be sure. You need to clearly identify your subject and the letter in question.