mark asked in PetsCats · 5 years ago

I brought a stray cat inside and...?

Well my mom has been taking care of a few cats outside, feeding them 2-3 times a day and putting a little house..

Anyway last year we got a cat inside (this isn't the reason why I posted this..) at first it was scared and would hiss and run away if you came near it, it was nasty. Right now it's tammed and is turning into a house cat, you can pet it and it hangs around the house with my entire family and both my dogs around.

But my mom was trying to get this one cat in recently because there was a snow storm happening so my mom wanted to bring it in, eventually we did two days ago.. And since then the cat has been hiding under my bed in the same position, it hasent moved in almost 48 hours.. We have wet food, dry food and water right by her so she can eat and drink, and we have a liter box.. I found this long stick, so I was putting it by her and she wasn't hissing or swatting it seems pretty friendly, but just scared for her life.. Then I was running her but after 10 seconds of doing it,

I'm sure it got scared and hissed at me.. Will the cat eventually eat and come out from the bed? If it doesn't move I'm on the verge of moving the bed. What should I do because its worrying me?

• mokrie

This is normal fear. Let the cat be. The more you go after it the more terrified the cat will become. It smells dogs and thinks they may kill her if she comes out. It may take a week or even two but the cat will venture out on it's own when it starts to see it's not being chased or threatened. Don't stare at it as a direct stare is how they say they want to fight. The cat has all it needs. Leave it alone. If you go to check on it try to look at it slightly side face and blink very slowly. That is how a mom cat tells it's babys that everything is alright. (that's how cats talk) I went through the same thing with a wild cat and it took 2 weeks for it to come out. Now it owns the house and is very happy.

• Elaine

Have patience with the cat and leave it alone. It is in unfamiliar territory and needs to make sure it is safe. As long as it has food and water the cat will come out eventually.

When I got a pair of cats from the humane society the one cat just hid and I didn't see it for about 3 weeks because it was hiding. I knew the cat was eating and drinking because I would see that the food was gone. Eventually the cat made friends with me and I never had such an affectionate cat as he was. Although he died many years ago I still think of that cat and I still miss him.

• mark5 years agoReport

Thank you!! :)

Cats are wacky and loveable. When they are out of their familiar territory, like this one, they will hide for a few days until they're comfortable with their surroundings. Make sure food and water are available as it might sneak out for a snack while you're not around, but it will come out eventually.If you have serious worries after a week or so, call a vet.

If the cat is refusing to leave from under the bed, it is the place the cat feels the safest. If you are worried it will not eat, put the food and water under the bed as well until she comes out, this will allow her to eat in her "safe place", and show her that good things can come from you, and she would most likely learn to trust you at least enough to come out from under the bed.

give your cat some fish chips or some fish food . i call my cats this way only .