What do you think of the idea of a future, self driving solar and wind powered electric RV?

This to me seems like the awesomest self sustaining, free to explore invention ever!

Electric, smart RV.

Best Answer

A self driving recreational vehicle seems to be almost an oxymoron. Isn't the purpose of a recreational vehicle to enjoy driving it? What would you achieve by making it self driving?

Making an RV an electric vehicle should probably be a basic requirement. The ideal of going into a pristine wilderness with a noisy, polluting vehicle should probably be outlawed.

Making the vehicle solar and / or wind powered might be possible depending upon what you are hoping to achieve. Most commercial cars could only go about 1 or 2 miles per hour on the amount of solar insolation that is received by their entire surface. But if you stored that power in batteries while you were camping out or hiking then you could use the vehicle to get you in and out. You would then be using the vehicle to get somewhere where you could enjoy the environment rather than pass though many environments without really seeing them. Wind power when the vehicle is parked could serve a similar purpose. (You could not recover wind energy from the moving vehicle as this is counter to certain laws of physics.)

• Whatevers
      5 years agoReport

I honestly don't know anybody that enjoys driving an RV, they're like a brick on wheels.

Well, the wind part could work, if you change RV to Land Yacht or get a boat.

Otherwise, you have the issue of getting enough solar insolation to power your RV. The only way you could practically do that would be if you had a solar satellite and a beamed power focuser.

Now if you're willing to wait days to travel, then it's possible to do. You could even use a solar-powered hydrogen generator to do it.

Read some of Robert A. Heilein's early works. Or (if you're too lazy) I'll some it up for you: The gov. increased in power and was able to control when the car could stop, enabling them to stop the car and lock it down if Big Brother didn't like what you were doing.

• Rich

RV's are heavy and bulky. That would require massive amounts of power to move any distance. Besides what do you do when there's no sun? Camp on the highway?

• ?5 years agoReport

charge it at an electric station I presume.

Personally, I think people should stay in the driver seat, and technology should only kick in when there's an emergency.

But could also be excellent in high density areas to help with congestion.

• ?5 years agoReport

You're entitled to your opinion, but I would like a self driving rv to take me places while i'm either sleeping or doing other things.

• Kano

Solar powered cars only work on extreme vehicles, very low and thin and as light weight as possible, even then they race them in Australia where there is lots of sunshine.

How you could use wind power on a car, I have no idea.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thum...

• Whatevers
      5 years agoReport

Land sailing does exist, and the reason they use Australia for those races is because the empty roadways for it exist.

Guide To Solar Power - http://SolarPower.duebq.com/?fOj

no idea.