Writer's guilt (about the contents of the story) anyone?

Maybe I'm the only writer plagued by this... thinking of stories, I sometimes feel guilty about writing down horrible things happening to my characters. It makes me wonder: why am I writing this? Why are so many stories and books about death, murder, rape and abuse, and all different kinds of trauma? I am... show more Maybe I'm the only writer plagued by this... thinking of stories, I sometimes feel guilty about writing down horrible things happening to my characters. It makes me wonder: why am I writing this? Why are so many stories and books about death, murder, rape and abuse, and all different kinds of trauma?
I am currently working on a story in which sexual abuse occurs, and if people ask me what I'm writing about I can't even say it out loud because I'm afraid of what they'll think about me, writing about stuff like that (once it's finished it'll be different, I think).
I 'justify' it by telling myself about the value the story will have to at least some readers who'll be prompted to reconsider their ideas of certain themes, but still.

Do other writers experience this kind of guilt,? Or are you perfectly comfortable telling people you're writing a story about (insert gruesome thing here)?
If you do recognize the above predicament, how do you handle it?