Spinal tap?

How fast is a spinal tap? Can doctors put you to sleep during the procedure? Is it painful?

Best Answer

I have never had to have a Spinal Tap done, so I am not sure how painful it is. As far as being asleep or awake, I think they just numb the area, so you do not feel it as much. The procedure I believe I read takes about 45 minutes. This link will tell you everything that you need to know about Spinal Taps.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/lumbar-...

I was about 9 years old when I had mine and I was scared before, but afterward it's didn't hurt at all! I could do a cartwheel the day after. They put me to sleep during the spinal tap and I got to bring like a stuffed animal with me and all that good stuff. But anyways my opinion is it doesn't hurt and there's nothing to be scared of.

-take care

I have had one they do not give you pain meds or put you to sleep but the pain is really not that bad. I was freaking out beforehand but the procedure feels very similar to the hpv vaccine or hepatitis b vaccine, where it doesn't feel like a needle, more like someone punched you in the arm, just hard enough to say ouch, rub your arm for a second and move on

they give painkillers... but in most cases a cat and Cscan is done instead.

UNLESS there's specific loss of spine fluid to the brain and other organs..

it's ok.. i'd be more worried about the results than the procedure.

colonoscopies are more a pain in the... :D see the joke?

• Walter

I think you can be asleep or awake. My aunt had one and the pain she had was just a bad headache. Head had to be lower than the body.