Who was England's greatest ever cricketer? Derek Pringle or Phil deFreitas?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

G'day sport. Hmmm ...tough one. May I throw Graeme Prick - err, sorry - Hick's hat into the ring? DeFreitas - born in Dominica. Pringle - born in Kenya. Hick - born in Zimbabwe, so as you can see they have all got impeccable credentials.

But what swings it in Hick's favour for me is his whopping test average of 31.32, 6 centuries and 18 half centuries in 114 innings - an astonishing strike rate of a 50 or better in 21% of his knocks.

When you take into account his 136 tons in all first class cricket, coupled with an average of 52.23 no one could claim that he was a flat track bully in the English County Championship ...could they?

Edit:

Sorry sport, but because of all the different nationalities involved I thought that you would get a better answer in

All >

Travel >

Travel (General) >

Other - Destinations

So I moved your question to what I thought was the correct category.

• 5 years ago

Derek Pringle

• Login to reply the answers
  • 5 years ago

Phil deFreitas

• 5 years ago

Phil deFreitas

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

Phil deFreitas

• 5 years ago

In my view, Phil deFreitas was the England's greatest ever cricketer. His batting averages are 14.82(test) and 16.04(ODI), bowling averages are 33.57(test) and 32.82(ODI).

• 5 years ago

Ian Botham

• 5 years ago

Jonathan Philip Agnew (born four April 1960) is definitely an English cricket broadcaster as well as former professional cricketer. He was created in Macclesfield, Cheshire, as well as educated at Uppingham College. He is nicknamed "Aggers", as well as, less commonly, "Spiro" – the actual latter, according in order to Debrett's Cricketers' Who is Who, after previous US Vice Leader Spiro Agnew. [1]

Agnew had an effective first-class career like a fast bowler with regard to Leicestershire from 1979 in order to 1990, returning quickly in 1992. In first-class cricket he or she took 666 wickets at typically 29. 25. Agnew received three Test hats for England, in addition to playing three Eventually Internationals in the actual mid-1980s, although his whole international career lasted just below a year. Within county cricket, Agnew's most prosperous seasons came toward the finish of his profession, after his final international match, when he'd learned to golf swing the ball. He or she was second as well as third leading wicket-taker within 1987 and 1988 respectively, such as the achievement of 100 wickets inside a season in 1987. He was named among the five Cricketers from the Year by Wisden Cricketers' Almanack within 1988.

While still a person, Agnew began work in cricket journalism as well as commentary. Since his retirement like a player, he has turned into a leading voice associated with cricket on stereo, as the BBC stereo cricket correspondent so that as a commentator upon Test Match Unique. He has also contributed like a member of Aussie broadcaster Australian Broadcasting Firm's Grandstand team. Agnew's on-air "leg over" discuss Test Match Unique, made to other commentator Brian Johnston within 1991, provoked giggling fits throughout a live broadcast as well as reaction from throughout England. The incident may be voted "the finest sporting commentary ever" inside a BBC poll; [2] Erina Henderson, one associated with Agnew's peers as well as rivals, has referred to him as "a grasp broadcaster... the pick from the sports correspondents in the BBC.

• 5 years ago

Chris Read. Hands down

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Neither Darren Pattinson blows them out of the water

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.