Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 5 years ago

Agnosticism is the only "informed, intelligent" position. Why do atheists hate that so much?

By now, the difference between being an atheist and being an agnostic should be pretty clear and pretty easy to remember. Atheism is about belief, or specifically what you don't believe. Agnosticism is about knowledge, or specifically about what you don't know. An atheist doesn't believe in any gods. An agnostic doesn't know if any gods exist or not. These can be the exact same person, but need not be.

Every agnostic is also either an atheist or a theist because any given belief is either present or not — there is no alternative to those two options. An agnostic may be unsure whether atheism or theism is more reasonable. An agnostic may not consider their theism or atheism very important. But regardless, belief that the proposition "at least one god is true" is present or not in everyone.

Agnostic JT Bradders said on here that Thomas Huxley invented Agnosticism, he explains it and defends it better then anyone. He recommends this link as a good place to start - and to note Huxley's feelings on Atheists.

http://aleph0.clarku.edu/huxley/

This shows what agnostics think about atheists, and that is why atheists don't like agnostic claims. But most people on here simply misunderstand what agnosticism is and dislike it for the wrong reasons. They would dislike it a lot more if they grasped this bit below:

JT Bradders said: "I would point out that Agnostics dismiss all the revealed Gods - so the God of Abraham is out. The specific question that makes us declare ignorance is - does existence have intention or not? Everyone else is ignorant when it comes to that question - some just don't know it - and some (mostly atheist) are such know-it-alls that they can't seem to accept their own ignorance. Agnosticism asserts that asserting a probability or preponderance regarding existence is the poison that destroys critical thinking, undermines evidence, and leads people into lives dedicated to absurdity. It’s a parasite regarded as a virtue."

From that, I gather that agnostics view themselves as being more honest than atheists, in that they say they don't know the answer to the question "Does existence have intention or not?" whilst atheists say they know the answer to be "No, there isn't." Of course, both atheists and agnostics are equally contemptuous of those who believe God gives meaning to existence.

The issue of knowledge of the meaning of existence seems to be the basis upon which people can be classified as either atheist, agnostic or theistic, according to agnostics themselves.

I think I would say "honest, reasonable", rather than "informed, intelligent", position. I don't know why you think atheists hate it. Many atheists would describe themselves as agnostic atheist.

Would you also say that agnosticism is the only informed and intelligent position about vampires and other undisprovable mythical beings or does that only go for gods?

• Nous

Why the silly claim?

How can procrastination and indecision be the correct stance?

Oh look here comes a tiger obviously hungry and wanting to eat me - perhaps I should just sit and think about that?

Wow I am in the middle of the rail road track and here comes a train - Now should I get of the track - not sure perhaps I should just stand here and think about that?

Atheists do not criticise agnostics but sadly agnostics like yourself post to make themselves look wrong!

Because anyone who says "I'm not atheist, I'm agnostic" clearly does not know what at least one of those words mean. It makes about as much sense as saying "I'm not a mammal, I'm a Christian."

I find such claims offensive not in their substance, per se, but in their total ignorance which is thereafter claimed as "informed and intelligent."

What are you babbling about. Most atheists on here are agnostic atheists.

I don't know for sure if there are any gods out there, but I don't believe in any.

It's the same position I hold about vampires...

agnosticism is actually the opposite. IT is based on the principle that reason can know nothing definitive about God.

How is saying you don't know or can't make up your mind informed and intelligent?

• Maurog IV
      5 years agoReport

Yeah, it's more a matter of honesty than intelligence (and obviously the opposite of informed). When you don't know something, admitting it is honest, making crap up is dishonest.

• tenn

I think you'll find that most people, not just atheists, react negatively to being told that their position is uninformed and unintelligent.