Should I study abroad in Dublin or Vienna?

Favorite Answer

For me, Vienna sounds much more prestigious than 'Dublin.' On the other hand, there is more of a language barrier in Austria (Vienna) than in Dublin. You could learn a little German (unless you already know some) which might ease your acclimatisation into Viennese society.

I have visited both Dublin and Vienna, and they are incredibly different places. I personally found Vienna to have a certain elegance to it that Dublin does not have. On the other hand, I felt that Vienna's opulence (grand opera houses, incredible architecture) came at the cost of a sense of 'warmth' and 'cosiness.' I felt as though I couldn't connect to the city particularly, as though it was a bit aloof and pompous. I have visited places like Barcelona also, and in contrast, I found the Catalan Countries (and some other Spain Cities) to have a much warmer and more relatable tone.

This is perhaps because I'm from a City in the United Kingdom which places a high degree of importance on community, neighbourly spirit, a lack of airs and graces.

So for me, Dublin would probably accomplish this, as it's world known for being an incredibly friendly and welcoming City. On the other hand, I would argue that Vienna sounds better on a CV. I would also argue that I visited Vienna when I was very young (about 15) so my impressions might have been inaccurate given the circumstances of the time (travelling with my parents.)

You might also want to consider the cost of living, which in Cities such as Vienna might be rather expensive, which is fine for a 2 or 3 week extended vacation, but the cost of the occasional Coca-Cola will surely mount up if you are studying there long-term. I believe Dublin's cost of living is somewhat similar to the United Kingdom, which isn't particularly cheap, not particularly expensive.

Vienna is just a town with a quite high quality of life, a characteristic that's extremely appreciated by the numerous guests who arrived at the Austrian capital and you too may be one at the least for a few days, learn how with hotelbye . A few of the areas must-see from Vienna are: the St. Stephen's Cathedral, the Chapels of St. Eligius, St Tirna, and St. Catherine and South Tower or Schönbrunn Palace. Schönbrunn Palace is really a place worth visiting not merely for its spectacular architecture, but additionally because of its wonderful park-like setting. This Baroque palace includes more than 1,441 rooms and apartments, including these after utilized by Empress Maria Theresa. Schönbrunn Park and Gardens is just a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Do you speak German?