From someone who knows nothing about computers, what laptop should I buy for architecture school?

I desperately need a tech smarty to help me with this!!! (and please do not scoff at my question no matter what you read below; help me!)

I am SET on getting an ATTRACTIVE laptop that is also very functional. I love the look of the macbook pro and hp envy.

I need something that I can run rendering programs like Revit and AutoCAD on, and I heard that macs don't run those programs without windows, and if I got a mac what would be the disadvantages/benefits/risks to using windows on a mac?

Is an hp envy powerful enough to run these programs on, even if I customized it?

A lot of people have said that an asus laptop would be the best option for an architecture student. I do NOT like the look, so please don't suggest this or go on a gross-looking computer rant.

So basically, what are the advantages and disadvantages to running rendering programs on the computers I like the look of, how trustworthy are they, and how long would they last me?

I am open to options of other computers as long as they have the look of a macbook pro.

I am not concerned with price at this point; I just need to know what my best bet is.

Thank you very much!

Also like the look of Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series Laptop

Favorite Answer

Stay away from Apple (engineering type courses use more programs too, like for prototyping machines). Don't worry about looks at first. I have several ASUS laptops, (A small business and through working in I.T.) and they are stunning. I love the good parts they use. You won't ever bother about looks when you need a mobile workstation (This is the category you need). They all look blocky, but that's to be expected with those. Make sure the computer has either NVidia Quadro or AMD Firepro graphics, as those are what were made for industrial programs, like Autodesk's lineup. I'm not able to find anything that looks like an Apple product, except for HP (eek). At the worst, you just cover it up with something. You just need to make sure it's a workhorse. All of those bulky, built-up, and powerful laptops will last a LONG time.

I've had many bad experiences with HP. They can't get it right, the stuff looks good in pictures, but quickly degrades in quality (visual and performance). Lenovo makes good work/workstation laptops, and they are well equipped with the right hardware. Look for 6+ GB of RAM, 500GB+ on the HDD/SSD, and look for an Intel Core i5 or i7 that has a frequency (Speed in a nutshell) of over 3.0 GHz. Stay away from Acer, Dell (They were good), HP, Toshiba, and other laptops that seem cheap. They sound appealing, but the cheapness of the chassis does not get the good side of me. ASUS, Lenovo, MSI, and Eurocom all are great. Eurocom is even better, as they have several models, but then they have so many options to make it right for you. Make sure you buy from their site though, since they build them to order.

Hello Jennifer,

My name is Sandeep and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell.

The Inspiron 15 7000 series system is a good choice, not just being sleek and light weight, but also comes with the required specifications for the software’s that you need to run for your architecture school.

This system has a 6 GB memory, which helps the processing. Also come with ample amount of storage and this system has a dedicated graphic card for video enhancement. Hope this helped, if you need any help at all, just reach out to us and we’ll be glad to help.

Thanks,

Sandeep

Social Media and Community Professional

Order Status: http://dell.to/1fgKSTr

Download Drivers: http://dell.to/1hcxG98

• Frank

I am using this Lenovo laptop. You should go with Lenovo z570 ideapad laptop, which is not cheap also better in compare then others.