Self proclaimed 'feminists', about that dictionary thing, if you say that feminism is 'just about equality', how hard is it to show that...?

Update:

... any given 'feminist' does not, in fact, measure up? So even if we all just go "Oh yeah, feminism is just about equality" like good little sheeple, why should we believe that there ARE any feminists? Can you show us one of these good, real feminists who is NOT a man hater? I admit there are some but they're basically Christina Hoff Sommers and her ilk and I don't see many 'feminists' sounding like her.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

"Self proclaimed 'feminists', about that dictionary thing,"

The dictionary definition is really referring to the original women's Rights activists from the turn of the century who fought for equal legal Rights. That's why we are always hearing (even today) that feminism is fighting for women's rights, even though this battle was won long ago. It is baffling to think that many modern women, most of them young adults, do not understand that they have the same legal Rights as men do, and have had them for a long time now in all western nations.

This is problematic and seems to be a setup to promote gender war. Especially because the current crop of feminists has nothing to do with the original women's Rights activists that fought on behalf of them in good honour, with good demeanour and a truthful character. Those women would certainly be aghast at what passes for equality in their name today.

As for the self proclaimed feminists, it appears too many of them don't even really know the history of the women's Rights Activists or the 2nd wave "women's Libbers" who are really NOT the same thing at all.

Most self proclaimed feminists will just rush in to defend today's radical feminists using the dictionary definition which no longer applies to todays crop of man-hating radicals. I believe this to be based more on ignorance than anything else. They really do not know what feminism and the mainstream feminism movement is about. and they seem to state that they are supposed to be equal in status to any or all of the prominent man-haters just because they take on the label of feminist.

Yet none of them will denounce, ostracize or call-out the man haters, or ever berate them publicly. NEVER. By not facing up to the cancerous man-hate that is rampant in today's mainstream feminist movement, all feminists are complicit in the justified, ugly image that feminism has today.

For reference: You can see some of the man-hating statements on record by prominent feminists here:

http://www.womenagainstmen.com/media/feminism-is-a...

• ?
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

You didn't mention Christina Hoff Sommers.

• ...Show all comments
    • ?
      Lv 7
      5 years agoReport

I was just joshing ya! You did mention Christina Hoff Sommers; I was pulling your leg.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Lhotse
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

Impossible.

Because there are millions of feminists, all with different opinions on all kinds of things and anti fems blame all feminists for the actions of any one of them.

If you look at something like a religion for example,people are able to understand that the Westboro Baptists don't speak for all Christians, IS don't speak for all Muslims. But anti fems seem incapable of applying that to feminism, which when you consider that feminism does not have a set of laws supposedly passed down from on high, is quite ridiculous. Why do people expect all feminists, without any controlling law or body, to share the same opinions about everything, when nobody can manage it within a religion which DOES have rules and governing bodies.

• 5 years ago

Their spewing of the definition is nothing more than a knee jerk reaction to defend their religion/cult.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • bebe
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

Women who believe in equality make up the majority of women. Your tellin me the majority of women are man haters?

• ...Show all comments
    • Michael5 years agoReport

If feminism was about equality shouldn't your response read "The majority of HUMANS IN GENERAL are feminists by default? Bah...doesn't matter. You speak for no one but yourself. You are not the voice of all women.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.