Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysRamadan · 5 years ago

Is Lebanon a Muslim or a Christian country?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I'm a Lebanese Muslim but there are both Muslims and Christians - but you do hear the adhan (Call to Prayer) even if you're far away from the mosque, for prayer which is beautiful - so you can't really say if it's a Muslim country or Christian (though there are obviously more Muslims than Christians).

• 5 years ago

It is neither but it is not secular it is a parliamentary democracy that operates by a system known as Confessionalism. Which means a de jure mixture of religion and politics used to deter sectarian violence through proportional political and institutional power respective to Lebanon's 18 different religious groups.

In Lebanon, the President has to be a Maronite Christian. The Prime Minister a Sunni Muslim. The Speaker of the Parliament a Shi’a Muslim. And the Deputy Prime Minister and the Deputy Speaker of Parliament Eastern Orthodox Christian.

Lebanon's unicameral parliament has 128 seats which are divided equally between Christians and Muslim proportionately between the 18 different denominations and proportionately between the 26 regions.The Parliament is elected for a four-year term by popular vote on the basis of sectarian proportional representation. The constitution is defined by the Taif Agreement, signed in 1990 after the 15 year civil war.

• 5 years ago

Salam. I think Lebanon is about 50% Muslims and 50% Christians so we could not say it is a Muslim country

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Lebanon is a Muslim country, but there are some Christians who live there.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

Secular I guess. 1/3 Christians, 1/3 Sunni Muslims and 1/3 Shia Muslims approx.

Prime Minister - Sunni

President - Christian

Parliament Speaker - Shia

I could be wrong though..

• Hirsty5 years agoReport

long story, but they are trying to do whatever they can to incriminate me it seems

• Miller
    Lv 5
    5 years ago

Muslim

• 5 years ago

It's just a country for the Lebanese citizens. Why someone wants to drag the religious beliefs into its political system. Further more all of its people are actually humans. Religious belief is private and personal matter.

• 5 years ago

There are several religions practised in Lebanon. It is the very seat of Christianity, of course - and then Islam came along to the area. Wiki will give you more info, of course.

• 5 years ago

Most of people are Christians

Source(s): Boyfriend lives there
  • ?
    Lv 5
    5 years ago

50/50 like Nigeria

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.