Casey asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 5 years ago

Is the crime rate in Japan low?

I'm thinking about doing some travelling for my photography and I'm thinking about Japan.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 years ago

Source(s): Criminal Records Search Database - http://CriminalRecords.raiwi.com/?ssWo
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

Japan is really good for photography and scenery pictures, and the crime is low. I feel safe when walking at night even if it’s really late. I think the best times to be in Japan to take pictures would be either the fall or spring.

Obviously, Japan has crime, but it is much lower than many other countries. Just make sure to stay away from bad districts in Tokyo late at night, and try to always travel with someone else. I have read that some “criminals” do target foreigners in Tokyo and other cities. So just be safe. It’s obviously more dangerous for a girl than a guy, but that’s everywhere.

Japan also has a lot of kobans around Japan (police boxes), so you can probably run to one if someone was chasing you. These kobans are open 24/7, so someone there can always help you. You can also go to one if you are just lost too. I was lost once, so had them help me call a taxi to go back home one night after I got off at the wrong train stop. And when the trains had stopped.

And there are also a bunch of convenience stores everywhere in Japan too. If someone is after you, you can always run into one of these stores.

Good luck.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Madame has a point: in Japan, the animals are more likely to pose a threat than the people.

Then again, nature has one up on even the animals. If a massive quake hits and you're in the wrong place at the wrong time, your number is up.

However, assuming these pretty unlikely things don't happen, then in terms of actual crime, there are few safer places to be assuming you employ common sense. During the daytime while it's light, you could carry a Leica M with a Noctilux on it around central Tokyo and the chances of someone trying to take if off you are remote...and were it to happen, I'd bet my money on it being a non-Japanese. Even at night the chances of being attacked for your possessions are, when compared to most western countries (and many other Asian ones) slim.

However, if you are concerned about it, consider taking out an insurance policy on your camera in the event of theft.

• 5 years ago

Japan is one of the world’s most welcoming and safest countries with very little street crime. The number of offenses committed in Japan is around one-eight the number in the United States. Most visitors to Japan comment that they feel very safe walking down the street and never feel threatened. Theft of luggage and money is very rare. There have been many stories of people forgetting a wallet or camera on a train and finding it safe again at the nearest police box.

Source(s): Japan Travel Advice http://japantraveladvice.com/
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

Yes, it is low.

That's why Japan is considered one of the safest country in the world and the safest country in Asia b'coz of its low crime rate.

• 5 years ago

The crime rate is low, but it isn't zero. You have to be careful -- especially if you are doing nature photography in bear country. But all things considered, it is relatively safe, and relatively full of beauty.

• 5 years ago

Japan is one of the safest countries in the world. But don't throw away common sense. You will enjoy yourself a lot.

• 5 years ago

Very low compared to the US. But crime is going up. As well as many other problems.

You shouldn't have any problems though. Just use common sense.

• james
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

It is very low there. But as any were there are area's you can get in trouble.

• ­
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

Yeah, it is. I felt completely safe walking around late at night, alone. I lived there for a year and I never had any incidents occur.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.