Does Thoreau (in Walden) expect us all to go live by a pond and reject all modern conveniences?why or why not?

Favorite Answer

I really don't think so. I think it's something like this. I am quite religious but in former religions I was always made to feel that any sin would keep me from Heaven, that all sinful people would not make it to Heaven and of course, being a sinful, mortal human being, how would I ever get there. And if not there then the only other option left was Hell. As a Jehovah Witness I have learned that Jehovah doesn't expect us to live perfect, sinless lives because he knows that we are imperfect human beings. What he wants from us is for us to live our lives striving as hard and much as possible to be like him, like Christ. On our deathbed, if we can say we have lived our lives in such a way than all will be well with our passing.

So, what does all this have to do with your question? I think Walden simply wanted us to not forget where we came from by getting so wrapped up in the technological advances of the day that were supposedly saving us all this time and money as well as making us wealthier. Those things have their place of course, and it was impossible and even improbable to ignore them, but he felt we should not get involved with them to the point of being unable to survive if suddenly found in a situation where we were without them. If suddenly we became destitute and poverty stricken, thrown from our homes would we still be able to live in the forest happily, be able to forage for food and game and not really be down on ourselves for the bad luck that befell us? If you live a comfortable life in the city but still know that if it came right down to it you could support yourself on say, $50 a week or less while living in a makeshift shack in the woods, then you are living the life that Thoreau proscribed, even if not currently doing so.

Thank you so much!!! I really appreciate the time you spent on answering this question. It really helped!! :)