Is Mitchell an Irish name?

I'm writing a story about an Irish-American character with the last name Mitchell. Does that sound right to you?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It is an English language word, as all surnames are words and they all come from languages NOT countries and in Ireland English is and was spoken as well as in many other countries in the world.... if your character is American who had Irish ancestry he/she could use any surname from many languages including Old English, Latin, French, Scandinavia as a surname never tells you which country the word was used just the language spoken, heard or influenced...... in that form it is an English word.

So if you are asking are there people in Ireland with that name, then the answer is yes, neighbours two doors away from where I live have that surname and I live in Ireland, but it doesn't mean their ancestors are Irish, it means the first to take the name spoke/heard the English language

• Login to reply the answers
  • 5 years ago

Mitchell Name Meaning

1) from the Middle English, Old French personal name Michel, vernacular form of Michael.nickname for a big man, from Middle English michel, mechel, muchel ‘big’.

2) Irish (County Connacht): surname adopted as equivalent of Mulvihill.

Source: Dictionary of American Family Names ©2013, Oxford University Press

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.