Is a Montessori a good option for a busy kid?

my son is 4 years old and has ADHD, we are hoping is might be a good alternative to a traditional classroom. But he is busy and active and likes to move and run and talk non-stop. Is that too much for this type of program?

• Poodie
    Favorite Answer

Montessori is for all children, and there have been many ADHD students who have thrived within a Montessori program. In fact, I have one exactly your son's age in my class. This is not to say that this is the right environment for your child, but he will be able to move freely and talk.

I have a peace corner in my classroom with lots of sensory items that the students enjoy, and are able to calm themselves with. They are able to choose yoga as a work at any point during the work period as well. I also sometimes borrow a sensory cushion for him to bounce on when he has extra energy to expend.

My advice is to speak to the schools in your area and explore not only Montessori, but traditional pre-k, Reggio Emilia, and Head Start as options. Ask if there is a learning specialist on staff. Even if there isn't, your child should be eligible for services through Child Find. Visit, ask questions, observe. Make sure that the Montessori schools you visit are accredited by or affiliated with the American Montessori Society or the Association Montessori Internationale, and that their lead teachers are all certified. Good luck with your search. I'm sure your son will thrive wherever he goes!

Source(s): Montessori Primary Teacher, 9 years
  • ?

You should make an appointment at the school and ask to visit a classroom. The Montessori programs I have seen require the student to do a "work" in a very specific way and put items back a very certain way. They do allow for some flexibility in terms of the student selecting the work they want to do, but I don't know if it is a good fit for a hyperactive 4-year-old.

• leah

Yes, its too much for this program. The kids I have been Nannying for almost 5 years go to a Montessori from birth on. Very routine, scheduled, no desks but he will be expected to sit on the rug with his classmates. No "free time" unless outside recess. Just giving you an idea. And holy cow are they expensive!