Need to know if its true that according to CA Bureau of Real Estate Law, if I pay a service a fee to help me find a place they must?

supply me with at least 3 places meeting my search criteria within 5 days or I am entitled to a full refund. I am a renter and I've been ripped off twice so far looking for a place. Before I pay another service I need to know if this is true. Not only that but if it is true maybe i can do something about getting my money back from this one other place that totally scammed me. They did NOTHING for me, took $200 of my money, and they have a "f" with the BBB. Wish I would have done my research first.

Favorite Answer

Yes, that is true. However, you must request the refund within 10 days of the expiration of the agreement (the 5 day period). Also, you may not be entitled to a full refund - you are entitled to a refund of your fee minus any fees incurred by the rental agent )for example, if the agent only gave you two listings but had to pay to get those listings from a rental database, they may be entitled to deduct the fees associated with that database).

Dont know what you are referring to. What you call a service fee is a commission for finding you a rental? Look at your contract. You can file a complaint if you are justified. I dont know how you were ripped off. If you have a contract, see what you are supposed to get for $200.

Common sense says, if a house with your criteria is not available, how can you expect to be shown one - one that does not exist? Do your own research. Homes are all online now. All you have to do is sit on your behind and stare at a screen. Pretty simple, isn 't it?

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
    • Karen5 years agoReport

Well then they shouldn't guarantee that they will do so.

Why would you pay a service when it's free to look on sites like realtor.com?

• Karen5 years agoReport

Yes it's true that there are all kinds of ads for vacancies but have you tried calling any of the numbers on the ads? I'm guessing not bc if you have you would know that pretty much every number I've called ends up being some broker or rental service who won't give you any info without getting paid