How would you pronounce the name Eliza?

My name is Eliza and my parents have always pronounced it as ah-lie-za.

But a lot of times other people mistake it as ah-lee-za or eh-lee-za.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 years ago
    Best Answer

In English a long "i" as in Eliza, Maria, Sophia, or East Timor was always pronounced like "eye". With the early 20th century reform in how Latin was taught, it began increasingly to be pronounced like "ee". Since the end of WW2 and the increasing tendency to pronounce foreign words vaguely how the natives would say them, this Italianate pronunciation has become almost universal. Even the old Limerick about the young lady of Riga going for a ride on a tiger no longer rhymes. Stick with Eelyzugh as long as you can, but you will eventually have to admit defeat and go along with modern practice, however deplorable, and make it Eleezah. I have the same problem with my granddaughter Sophia, whom the rest of the family insists is Sofeeah.

• RE
      Lv 7
      5 years agoReport

I am curious. Do you also say "Eye-talian" and "Eye-raq"? Those are heard quite a bit in the US but our teachers always told us it was wrong. I have heard "Mar-eye-ah" but we usually spell it with an H to distinguish it from Maria.

• 5 years ago

I usually hear people pronounce it as Ah-lie-za.

• John P
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

My natural way in Britain is "e-LIE-zuh", as in Eliza Doolittle in the musical "My Fair Lady" (or the book "Pygmalion").

People of European background would naturally make the middle syllable "lee", and make the stress more even between the three syllables.

• 5 years ago

In most European languages the E is pronounced like English A. long form.The I is like in English s(ee) and the A like in father. In the U.S. and sometimes in Canada the I in this case would be like ai or German ei like in mein English dine.Some European languages like Spanish pronounce the Z as S.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

For south-American people: "eh-lee-za"

• RE
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

In Latin American Spanish, eh-LEE-sah. Just correct them politely and tell them in English it is pronounced "Uh-LIE-zah."

• 5 years ago

ee (as in see)

lie (as in lie)

za (as in ... something with the syllable za)

ee-lie-za

• 5 years ago

i would pronounce it Ih-lye-zah, but i'm american. i would think most Europeans would say Eh-lee-zah, but no worries. you get to tell others how you want it pronounced since it's your name. cool how that works, eh?

• Mark
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

Usually ee LYE zuh.

• 5 years ago

In English : [i-LIE-zuh]

In Polish : [e-LEE-zah]

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.