What priveleges do British dukes, marquesses, and earles hold in the 21st, if any?

• Best Answer

They have what is known as 'The Queen's ear' - meaning they can request an audience with Her Majesty and she must receive them. Other rights, such as the right to sit in the House of Lords, exemption from civil arrest, and the right to be tried by other Peers, have since been abolished.

• Clo

The privileges of money and power...hereditary peers no longer have an automatic seat in The House of Lords, but the older families have a name, a history of holding jobs of power and influence.

• Trevor

I believe I read somewhere that these days, the only benefit involves being able to 'jump the queue' at their local fish and chips shop. Quite a satisfactory perk when you think about it.

The "Old Boys" network still counts for much and can SOMETIMES but, not always, help in minor infringements of the law. and SOMETIMES, it can be the exact opposite, a title being like a red rag to a bull.

• Clive

Basically none. They might be elected to the House of Lords by other hereditary lords, but that's about it.

• Lv 7
      5 years agoReport

"none",....."might"........why did you bother?

They can sit in the House of Lords, if they are selected. Thus, they can have a role in government.

They get supporters to their coats of arms, and fancy hats (chapeauxs) on them.

That's about it.

None

I can easily assure you that the vast majority of the population could care less about their "honours", you ever met one ? thought not.

• Lv 7
      5 years agoReport

hello racist sam, like to comment on my stuff but block me, makes you a coward. why don't you and me talk? dare you? it would make you feel great IF you put one over me. mind you ,your about as funny and informative as the ukip manifesto.

The lower classes must bow and pay homage to them, as has always been the case. They are our "betters".

• Lv 7
      5 years agoReport

I will not be subject to "their" dubious morality. they are certainly not our betters, they are merely getting away with it, and you are an accomplice.

vagina is good.

• Sir Prince Kenny
      5 years agoReport

Is that ALL you have to say "vagina is good"? Not, wonderful, fantastic, stupendous? Just "good"? No wonder your answer is hidden!