Do URL links take up extra space?

Hello,

I currently have a signature within my email (my name and a quote)and underneath the signature I have a URL link to youtube does that URL take up extra space every time I send an email or no? If so by how much? Would the process require more bandwidth to send the email without the link or with the link and how significant is the issue?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

As for physical space, yes it takes up more. It is a matter of having a thing vs not having it.

Bandwidth wise, also yes. Each character you type increases the bandwidth required to send an email. However, it is hugely insignificant. A URL is simply text. It takes up no more "space" then an extra sentence would. A hypertext link (where you can just click a word and that is the link) would take a bit more, but would still be wildly insignificant.

If you are concerned about the actual length of the message, try bit.ly. If you are concerned about a url slowing down your browser's speed, stop. There is nothing to worry about.

• MaX
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

URL links in signature inside email don't take up any space

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

You'd think the Twitter URL shortener would be going in the other direction, right? How we'd love to have more room for our messages, not less. But unfortunately, this change will mean you lose two extra characters in each tweet containing a hyperlink.

• 5 years ago

They take cookies, which (at times) can slow your browser

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

are there any references to back your claim? If so would you be able to paste the link so I can read about it. Thanks again.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.