Anonymous

Do you believe the american school systems are behind other developed countries?

I was watching a show on PBS that was talking about holland. They said in their school systems they were required to speak at least 3 different foreign languages. Also, I hear of asian countries like japan and places in china that are producing students from universities that are going on to be key players in software and hardware development and alternative energy development etc. I also remember when I was in school a foreign exchange student from sweden came in and she was so far ahead of us on math and other areas that it was ridiculous. She said our senior grade math was what she learned in 9th or 10th grade. So, what do you think, are we falling behind in our schooling?

• Mark
    Favorite Answer

Well, yes and no. It's very good in things like language arts and physical education, but not so good in mathematics and science, especially after about age 12. (Up to then American children do as good or better than most kids.) But very telling is that Americans don't tend to be smug about their education and then make ridiculous statements like "Sydney and Perth are close together, because they're both in Australia".

• Zzzzzz

I think it's completely lacking. The school I go to now isn't even up to the goal of the state. None of the schools in the district (except one) actually meet the standards. Ive had horrible idiot teachers. Schooling in the US isn't good.

I think history is the most lacking. Many people in the US are opposed to including history that involves LGBT people- A key part of American history. Yes, homophobia isn't fun to hear about it, but our kids need to know the extremes of discrimination against LGBT people in the past. That's the biggest flaw I see in the education system.