Can I still use expired antibiotic eyedrops?

So around the end of 2013, I had a corneal ulcer in my left eye and I got prescribed to some antibiotic eyedrops. They were Cipofloxacin Hydrochloride Ophthalmic Solution, 0.3% as base..

I am a daily contact user so with that being said, that's what has caused my corneal ulcer in the past.

Last night I slept with my contacts on because I had no choice to since I sleptover someone's house as a last minute thing.

I woke up this morning with my left eye (the eye that I had my previous corneal ulcer) red and swollen and it's very teary. I can already tell I'm beginning to get another ulcer..

I want to use the antibiotic eyedrops that my doctor had prescribed me in the past. Only thing is, is that they supposedly expired September 2014 which was 3 months ago..

I was wondering if they are still safe to use even though they expired 3 months ago? I have kept the eyedrops sealed and in its box in a dark and cool place, if that helps.

Please let me know ASAP! I don't want my ulcer to worsen! :( Thanks in advance!

The Cipro drops may not be appropriate for what you have now but you need to see your ophthalmologist and get examined and diagnosed. Don't have to capitalize ciprofloxacin, this is a generic name. Using expired eyedrops poses some risks to you -- ineffective treatment is the least of it. You could induce bacterial conjunctivitis. Did you write that the eyedrops are sealed?? As in never opened?? Because once the seal is broken, eyedrops begin to lose potency.

"Please let me know ASAP! I don't want my ulcer to worsen! " -- If this is how you feel, I'm surprised you would even consider using these drops. See your ophthalmologist.

"Last night I slept with my contacts on because I had no choice to since I sleptover someone's house as a last minute thing. " -- You had a choice and you chose to do what you did.

Source(s): I'm a nurse.

It is not unsafe to use expired medicine; but it may not work.

In this case, though, they are barely expired. I doubt there is any significant difference in 3 months. I've heard that each year after expiration, medicines lose 10% of their potency. But I think this is just a rough estimate.

Now, I once used some pain reliever and it didn't work. I looked at the bottle and it was 10 years old. No wonder.

Its been said even with expired medications a person can still use them But with the eyes Id be a tad worried since its the vision you are talking about it may help but may need to get the eyes looked at any ways to get a stronger scrip since the eyes do change with time .

Source(s): Be a nurse soon")

You must see a doctor and get your previous eye condition diagnosed. It may not be the same as the last one.

Antibiotics "expire" when they are expected to have lost some or all of their effectiveness.

So all in all, using those expired eye drops is a bad idea for several quite important reasons.

Expired medication looses its potency, basically you can use it but it might not be strong enough to do its job. One year is not too extreme.