promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 5 years ago

Non US born US citizen can live abroad for how many years?

My cousin got his US nationality at age 20+. He wants to go abroad for college education for estimate time of 2-5 years.

Please donot answer if you are not sure.

Also please provide and source where i can look up to make sure?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Any US citizen, by birth or naturalization, has only a couple of requirements:

1. You can ONLY enter/exit US on US passport. Penalties for failure to do so.

2. You must file & pay income taxes as required, even if you reside outside the US, earn your income outside US, etc. US taxes all "US persons" (US citizens, legal permanent residents, and others) on ALL income from all sources worldwide, regardless of residency. You may also become subject to additional reporting requirements of foreign bank & other financial accounts (FBAR) and foreign assets (Form 8938).

As long as Federal (& state) govts get your money, you're good to go as long as you want for as long as some other country/ies will let you into their country. You could be born in US, and depart as soon as you get your US passport, then stay out of US for the rest of your life & be buried/cremated abroad, and nobody cares - as long as you cough up the taxes.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

Once you're a citizen, you're a citizen. You can do anything a citizen can do, and study abroad is certainly included. I would think that googling U.S. citizen rights would give you a definitive source.

• Lisa A
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

A US citizen does not need to ever set foot in the US in their entire lives if they do not want to.

• 5 years ago

The perk of US citizenship is the ability to come and go as one pleases, or to never leave, or to never come back. There are US citizen in the world who have never even visited the United States once in their lifetime.

Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live on the American Rivera and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 years ago

=]

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

for rver if he wants ...just file taxes every year

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.