Fellow nerds, would you classify Stanley Kubrick/Arthur C. Clarke's "2001" as Science Fiction or as Science Fantasy?

You might think I'm crazy, but hear me out on this one. The books imply that the Firstborn, the alien race who built the Monoliths and accelerated evolution in early hominids, eventually evolved past the point of existence until they became something akin to gods. In a critical part of the series itself, they then do the same thing to Commander David Bowman. Bowman and the Firstborn are now beings of pure energy-a part of Time and Space itself. As I mentioned earlier, they are practically gods. Now remember my question, is 2001 and the rest of the Space Odyssey series itself, SciFi or SciFantasy?

Favorite Answer

SciFi. None of the concepts involved are particularly fantasy-based, including the beings of pure energy who (I remind you), are PRACTICALLY gods, but not really gods at all.