How to help police catch who broke into my house?

So I went home for the holidays to visit my mother. My friend is watching my place. Well while she was at work someone went throug my window and took all my things. She reported it and they're dusting for prints. The messed up part was it had to be someone I knew. They knew I was gone, they knew my friend left for work, they knew my pets and (how messed up is this) they knew there my liqour was, drank it, and left it on my table. My car was there so they know what I drive. I have faith in police but I do to have faith they'll catch the person. Is there anything I can leagally do to help them catch the person. It's an apartment and I find it hard to belive no one saw someone crawling through my window and carring a tv. Can I question my neighbors to see if they saw anything. I'm wicked upset bc I'm a college student and work full time and work very hard for what I DO have how do the deserve the things I worked for. It's a terrible Christmas present and I don't remember the last time I was so mad. Bc it's either a neighbor or a friend and that's really messed up in my opinion. If I was into drugs I'd say I deserve it but I'm pretty hurt by this mentally but mostly financially. I thought I had usaa renters insurence but it turns out it expired. Do the police usually catch them or should I just cut my losses? What can I do to help them within the leagal rights

Best Answer

It's a horrible feeling having your stuff gone through like that, but I have to tell you it's very easy to tell when someone is away...

If they do it during the day, MOST people are out at work. the rest are usually sleeping or watching TV or on the computer- they're not looking at your place.

If there are kids in the neighborhood you talk to, ask them about what kind of TV they like. Tell them you're thinking about getting a new one...justto see if someone pipes up that they just got a new TV or someone they know just did.

Kids know what goes on in a neighborhood, and a lot of them have older siblings. That sounds like something done by someone who was fairly athletic, and quick, and is able to blend in while they case the place.

If a car stays in the same spot for more than 24 hours, it almost always means someone is away. There are plenty of other giveaways, and someone who has pets of their own can easily get around someone else's animals if they enter with confidence.

You might ask around among the kids in the neighborhood, and offer a reward. Your place won't be the only place being broken into - somebody knows something, and someone will do it again.

You can only ask around. Any investigation in cahoots with the police will lead to any charges thrown out.

I agree with Austin. Your friend is either in on it or did it on their own.

Maybe your friend is in on it in some way...