Who watched the new movie Exodus:Gods and Kings? Reviews please!?

Favorite Answer

Obviously, the movie is based on the biblical account of Moses in the book of Exodus.

When I went to see the movie, someone fell asleep not too far from me and started snoring. I read some reviewers that mentioned the same thing happening to them. That’s not a good sign.

The director, Ridley Scott openly identifies as an atheist. In 2002, he told Esquire: “The biggest source of evil is of course religion.”

As journalist, Brett McCracken, said in his review, “Though Exodus: Gods and Kings doesn’t have the art-house edge or in-your-face craziness of Darren Aronfosky’s Noah, it still won’t be an easy sell for by-the-book evangelicals. With an atheist as its director and a lead actor who regrettably suggested Moses could be seen as ‘schizophrenic’ and ‘barbaric,’ the film more than invites skepticism from biblically faithful filmgoers” (Exodus: Gods and Kings).

There are plenty of reviewers who have written about the inaccuracies in the film—historical, archaeological, biblical, and so forth.

Ridley Scott and Fox said they wanted to make the story of Moses like GLADIATOR. And sure enough, there were quite a few statements and scenes that were clearly lifted from Gladiator. The movie starts with an epic battle with Moses, a respected general, leading the charge (like in Gladiator). Moses stabs a chariot wheel with his spear, causing it to fly into the air (like in Gladiator). The ruler of Egypt regrets that his son would succeed him instead of Moses (like in Gladiator). Pharoah suggests that his young son can sleep so well because he is loved (like in Gladiator). Moses even sounds like Maximus yelling with his sword in hand. I’m sure if I sat down and watched Gladiator again, I would find a bunch of other parallels as well.

Interestingly, Moses was portrayed as a freedom fighter (or terrorist, depending on your perspective). Instead of a staff, he held a sword. He spends his time training the Israelites how to fight and leading them on these attacks on several military and supply sites to try to force pharaoh to let the people go.

Moses wasn’t involved in the plagues. God simply tells him he can watch.

God communicates with Moses through a moody, scowling, flippant, and rude 11-year-old British boy who is only visible to Moses. As Elizabeth Mitchell put it, “The holiness of God is distinctly missing from the encounter at the burning bush onward. The real Moses saw no bodily manifestation of God here and later only had a limited glimpse of God’s glory (Exodus 33:15–23). The real Moses was commanded by God’s voice to remove his shoes because he stood on holy ground in God’s presence. Our Movie Moses, by contrast, was nearly submerged in mud with a broken leg after a rockslide when he met the boy ‘God.’ In this and later conversations with Movie Moses, the God-character demands no respect or reverence, inspires no awe or fear, and often seems flippant and rude” (Movie Review of Exodus: Gods and Kings).

As Krish Kandiah said, “Scott makes some controversial choices. He gives Moses a handy head injury to initiate a conversion experience. When Moses speaks with God, it's clear that everyone else just sees Moses speaking to himself. A naturalistic counter-narrative is offered to the miraculous plagues, and even the parting of the Red Sea coincides with a meteor strike and a resulting tsunami” (Exodus: Gods and Kings review - biblically irreverent but powerful cinema).

As Jack Jenkins wrote in his review, “By removing almost everything divine from the Exodus narrative — including God — Scott renders Moses’ motivation awkwardly unclear. The audience is told that Moses leads the Hebrew people because God tells him to, but since we’re not entirely sure if God exists, the hero-Moses of Exodus quickly transforms into a deluded man whose life just happens to coincide with a series of cataclysmic events that work in his favor. Scott barely takes belief seriously, making Moses’ defeat of the Pharaoh feel less like a victory and more like blind, undeserved luck. Moses’ shouting matches with God don’t seem to matter; one quickly begins to wonder whether Moses’ story is worth telling at all” (He Blinded Me With Science: What Ridley Scott Gets Wrong About ‘Exodus’).

In the movie, it's a series of crocodiles attacks where they eat so many people and animals that the water of the Nile becomes filled with the blood of their victims.

The only plague that wasn’t clearly explainable by naturalistic causes was the last plague, but that served to just make another atheist talking point. While confronting Moses in the street, Pharaoh holds the body of his dead son and demands to know why anyone would worship “a God who kills children.”

My conclusion is the same as Lou Lumenick: “Ridley Scott’s 'Exodus: Gods and Kings' is an utterly clueless, relentlessly grim and rambling action epic guaranteed to displease devout Jews, Christians and Muslims alike, amuse atheists — and generally bore everyone . . . It’s hard to imagine exactly who Scott and his committee of writers thought they were making this movie for — it's neither Oscar bait, satisfying popcorn fare nor a remotely faithful rendering of Scripture” (Christian Bale is God-awful as Moses in ‘Exodus’).

Hey Suicidal, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Amores Perros, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather and Magnolia. BQ: Ummm... That's a hard one. There are so many great scenes from all these movies. Though I think I will have to go with the scene in Magnolia, where the whole cast joins into to sing Wise Up by Aimee Mann BQ2: Schindler's List, The Deer Hunter, The Social Network BQ3: At the moment I'm re-watching Summer Heights High, and a few episodes of Veronica Mars season 2 that I haven't seen yet. :) Edit: Hahaha "Sorry Ben... Mother f*cker!" @Rebellion, Ahhh I LOVE Community!!!! Hahaha I love Pierce "That guy wasn't gay! He had a mustache!"

I went into this film with an open mind. I have enjoyed Ridley Scott movies in the past, particularly Gladiator which is the same genre of film as this. Unfortunately, I was left feeling extremely disappointed. Although this is a classic, biblical story that most movie-goers are likely already familiar with, the film-makers have decided to pad this ancient tale with over-the-top action scenes, as well as one-note characters that feel more like cardboard cut-outs as opposed to actual human beings. The most shameful aspect of the film is the part that I was most looking forward to : The Actual Plague. While I was hoping to see harrowing images of Egypt being decimated in a genuinely frightening tale, we are instead bombarded with fake looking CGI that simply left me dry. The plague feels more like a computer montage than an actual scary event.Terrible script. Weak performances. An over-reliance on CGI instead of CHARACTERS and STORY! Overall, just a bad film. Didn't help that they chose big named actors instead of people that looked more like Ancient Egyptians. Pass

Trailer

Me God

-