How can I get over him?

ITS BEEN OVER 4 MONTHS AND I CANT GET OVER HIM. I was talking to this guy over the summer and we developed A LOT of feelings for each other. We did a lot together and my parents loved him and his parents loved me. But recently everything took a turn for the worse and he got back together with his ex (they'd... show more ITS BEEN OVER 4 MONTHS AND I CANT GET OVER HIM.
I was talking to this guy over the summer and we developed A LOT of feelings for each other. We did a lot together and my parents loved him and his parents loved me. But recently everything took a turn for the worse and he got back together with his ex (they'd been broken up for 5 months but were together for a year and a half). Just to clarify, he didn't just get back together with her while talking to me... he let me know first and basically cut off our talking but said we were still 'friends'. I know he really liked me but y'know...
People tell me that I should keep him close as a friend because when he breaks up with his girlfriend he'll come to me, but I'm worried theyre not gonna break up for some reason. (We're in HS btw... he's a grade older than me). I mean, he told his friends about me and everything so it's not like I was a secret... I just don't know what to do. I can't help but feel annoyed yet at the same time I'm really just sad. I feel like this is stupid, because it is, but there isn't anyone else that I can like to take my mind off of him. I check his twitter and stuff and I know how well I could have treated him but there are so many unanswered questions and unsaid thoughts and things I wanted to do and I have so many regrets (in terms of things I didn't do) and I don't know how to free myself. It's tearing me apart.