Hello I am trying to find a question regarding backpacks.?

I have the Eberlestock Jackhammer Backpack which is 44 liters or 2700 Cubic inches. Is this a decent size bag for 1-3 days backpacking? What could you do with a pack like this? Whats in your pack list? Whats your ideal weight for cold weather?

I live in Montana so cold is a factor as well. Do you think a pack should weigh 30% of your weight or less? i dont buy it from my military experience. But im assuming less weight means less calories spent and less long term harm. Would you carry something heavier if it provided you with comfort?

My friend swears by Bushcraft rules of 30lbs or less . Needless to say he has not much comfort items.

And my definition of comfort items typically add warmth to your body, makes a few things easier to do, reduces stress on your body. I think comfort effects your mind in a huge way from my experience. With out comforting your mind your body can suffer. What do yall think?

Favorite Answer

Depends on what you know and what you pack. The less you know the more you pack. And in some cases, you do need to pack them for safety. For example, if you have to stay out longer, do you know natural food sources, or ways to build a shelter if you lose your pack?

My large pack is 60L but is mostly sleeping/shelter. I have daypack that has most of the weight, and it goes into the top of the pack. This works for me for day hikes out of base camp. Inside the daypack is a light, large waist pack that is on me whenever I leave camp; it has a couple belt pouches for survival essentials.

I have a 2 lb and a 4 lb bag that I combine for Fall/snow. I also put on extra layers when sleeping, and use my coat when in colder weather. They've worked, but I don't do much winter camping.

You are down to a weight that would need a very experienced winter backpacker to look at all your gear to help you. You may be able to get some aspects of this ultra light article to help you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultralight_backpackin...

Here is a more general article that I've invested a fair amount of what I know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiking_equipment

One food tip is to pack plenty of nuts and a bottle of olive or coconut oil. The oil can be eaten even if you cannot heat it, makes an emergency candle too. Look up all the uses of baking soda.

Ray Mears has about 8 series on YouTube, some in arctic conditions. Tom Brown Jr is one of best experts on living off the land. His top class examine is having students go into the Bob Marshall wilderness for 28 days in the winter. They come out typically having gained weight.

Perhaps clearing of the mind will help with what is essential. According to Tom Brown they are in this order: shelter (starting with clothes), water, fire, food. Cody Lundin brings out the same.

Year-round, I have three layers, long sleeved and long pants. Wool balaclava, wool glove liners, two heavy pair of wool socks (dry one pair by your neck). A wool scarf adds to middle layer, neck, and can be wrapped to cover the lower face, backup hat. Winter: parka with hood, ski pants, snow boots and ski gloves.

Most civilized people do not train their bodies for cold. I read a book by one of the last Sioux chiefs who lived before and experienced the whites coming in. They trained from childhood for the winter, jumping naked into snow banks and ice water. They traveled lighter and faster than whites to help get horses back for the whites, tying clothes into a bundle and swimming rivers. When I told this to an friend in the army, he said it is true. The first couple weeks your lips turn blue and then you get used to it.

I grew up in Montana too, in the 60s. My bed was cold enough that if I moved, it woke me up. I played all day in the snow wearing a parka, jeans, cotton long underwear, rubber boots and wool socks. At the end of the day, I pried ice balls from between my toes. In HS, I walked a half mile to school. When it hit 35 below, I finally swapped out my jean coat for the parka. After I read the chief's book, I started finishing showers with cold water, and walking a mile in cold weather without a coat. It helps. Ever watch Cody in Dual Survival's winter episodes? Same thing.

Basic kit: stout knife, pot, 2 metal, wide-mouth water bottles, fire starters, cordage. Winter needs more wood processing: bucksaw, hatchet/tomahawk.

Food: Fat is most calorie dense. Pemmican with dried berries. A qt bag of nuts should see you through a day or two. Look up which dried fruits are more nutritious. Oats can be eaten raw, and can be soaked in water for a while instead of cooking them. Bullion is great for a hot drink and flavor other things you may find to eat. Look up edible tree bark, pine needle tea, and other plants. I especially like spruce tips in the spring, and prepare some for year-round use.

This is one of the best online sources I've found for survival.

http://www.usrsog.org/

Happy hiking, and happy holidays.

For me, I try to go 25lbs or less, 30lbs top. Want to enjoy it, not labor. I've met others who "said" there packs weighed 50 lbs and 70lbs! The 70 lbs I really doubted, he swung the pack around to easily. Even though he was a bigger guy. Something you need. Like a sleeping bag, and warm clothes and food. Throw out what you don't need. I use to take books with me. 1 was enough, I was to busy doing other stuff to read. Take the essentials. Food, bag, tent, stove, frying pan, food and a change of clothes, socks. Dry good are a lot lighter than wet. water is all around. Unless you're high in the mountains or desert!

I have a Red Rock Outdoor Gear Large Assault Pack, about 35-40 litres of storage and has 4 compartments.

Here is my pack list:

4.5inX4.5in5x5.5in plastic container

about 300ft 12lbs. fishing line

about 30ft 550 paracord

emergency poncho

ermergency space blanket

batteries

led flashlight

about 50 ft duct tape

8 ft aluminum foil duct tape

11 in 1 survival tool

folding knive

magnesium flint firestarter

fishing supplies like hooks and lures

hobo knive (spoon, fork, knife, can opener tool)

magnet

thread

needle

pins

safety pins

buttons

about 75ft super strong string

razor blade

If you are just new to the survival and prepping community, I recommend you to check out https://realsurvivalstrategies.com/ ... tons of amazing articles about survival tips and skills you can use when SHTF!

Hope this helps.

Good luck