Infected toe, not ingrown toenail?

It's swollen on the side and such... I do have pretty deep nailbeds (?) on my big toes to a point where its hard to find the bottom, lol. The indide part of the skin around my nail is infected... it now has a skin/liquid pocket because I decided to pick it open (though I peroxided it, put neosporin on it, and... show more It's swollen on the side and such... I do have pretty deep nailbeds (?) on my big toes to a point where its hard to find the bottom, lol. The indide part of the skin around my nail is infected... it now has a skin/liquid pocket because I decided to pick it open (though I peroxided it, put neosporin on it, and wrapped it afterwards). Pus still comes out of it a little bit.
I think I remember pulling out a hangnail a few days ago from that side. The toe does NOT look ingrown (my mom agrees) because I clipped it to a point where I can see the end of the nail, and it's not digging into skin. Even the bottom part is not digging into skin.
I soaked it in epson salt today for a while. It's really only painful if I walk too angled to a point where it gets irritated or if I touch it on the spot.
What could it be?