I failed a class my junior year in high school? What does this mean for my future?

I've never failed a class before. I m usually an A and B student, but geometry kicked my butt this semester. We run on a block schedule (4 classes every 2 semesters) and I got all As in my other three classes and a 65 in geometry. I just couldn't learn under the teacher I had. He never gave us text books and he never took time to thoroughly explain how a problem works. I could never stay for tutoring because of my mom's job. In my freshman and sophomore year I got an A in Algebra 1 and a high B in Algebra 2, so I know I can do math alright, but nothing stuck this year. Everything seemed really complex and confusing.

Best Answer

It's not the end of the world if you fail a class in high school. What I would recommend is taking a Geometry class at your local community college so that you "make up" the grade, most ideally during summer vacation. I had the exact same situation as you in high school, except my failing grade was in Chemistry. I had always preferred Biology and Physiology over Physics and Chem, but I had to take one year of physical science to get into college, and frankly, my Chem teacher was a b*tch. I worked with my dad for three hours every single night on the homework and still didn't pass her class. So the next summer, I took an Intro to Chem course at my local community college, and something I realized was that at CC, the professors are A) more reasonable, B) more organized, and C) are more willing to help you if you go to them with questions. I got a B in my summer Chem class, got into my dream college, and actually recently just graduated. What I'd suggest is having a chat with your high school counselor and your parents to find out which class you should take over summer that would be the equivalent of your school's Geometry class, and sign up for it. Another advantage to taking it over summer is that you won't have any other classes to worry about, so you can focus just on your geometry course.

It doesn't matter very much! I would panic if I ever got an F in a class, but it's not the end of the world. I suggest making up the class and making sure you understand the concepts better. Most high schools offer a summer remedial class, or something else to make up the class and still move on to the next level of math in the next school year. Look into that, show that you will keep working at Geo, and you'll be fine. Even for A and B students, there's always one year in math that just doesn't click, or that is much more difficult than other years. I'm sure you'll pick up soon. It'll be fine.

If you're worried about college, they would be more worried about an F average in all classes and no effort to bring up the grade than about one class that gave you a hard time, especially if you work to fix whatever the problem was.

• Carol

At least you are taking summer school to make it up, since your seeing an increase in difficulty and to prevent failing any more classes in your senior year (so it won't prevent you from graduating) cut back on any extracurricular activities and fully devote all your time to studying. Don't be afraid to ask your friends, family, or better yet a tutor to help you. It seems like you've being doing well thus far, I assume your GPA isn't too bad, but your just going to have to work hard so you won't be in this predicament your final year of school. Good luck!

Not a huge deal. Try to get a different teacher next time. Make sure you're doing all of the assignments.

There are some pretty good teachers on YouTube making videos, so look online for help as well.

It doesn't mean anything. I hate how adults try and make teens feel as if college is oh so important one screw up ruins you for life...it's REALLY not true. One "F" really doesn't matter. Sure, it will bring your average down, but only slightly since the majority of your grades are A's and B's. Colleges actually like to see a rise in your grades...only the more selective ones like to see that you were "dedicated" the day you set foot into High School. Honestly, if you can get the grade up to about a "C" you should be fine. If you continue to fail it might bring your grade down to a "C" average (or 2.0-2.7 -depending on your school). Anyways, I wouldn't worry about it...just bring your grades up.

• Lee5 years agoReport

Good grades and a college degree make life easier. That's why adults keep freaking out about doing well in school.

My friends who got through college are all doing pretty well.
      The ones that didn't are frying fish, flipping burgers, trying to join the Army, or dead.
      Just my experience.

• ?

I am very surprised that you did not search for online resources to help you. Online resources are available 24/7 and if you look you could have located lessons, reviews, explanations and even online tutoring. Remember, life is full of obstacles that we must learn to find the solutions in whatever way possible. One last thing. Friends and classmates took this class also. Did they all fail?

• Lizzie

You need to take a night school course in geometry and soon, to pass this year into the next grade.

• Willie

It means you weren't too smart for that class.