When applying for a job (a small one, y'know Dollar Store or McDonalds or something) do you have to use your real name?

No one has called me by my real name for years, everyone calls me Jenny. I hate my real name and when I hear it I wanna barf. Do I have to use my real name? Can I make a request not to be called by that or have that on my name tag?

Update:

i'd prefer not to tell them my real name at all by the way. So if I can get out of it please let me know.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You must give your full legal name along with identification in your full legal name, Social Security card, etc. You can request to be called by your nickname & have it on your name badge. They don't have to abide by your request.

If your real name is Jennifer, since Jenny is the common nickname for that, that's a very pretty name!

• thanks! i'll ask them :)
      my real name isn't jennifer though :( it's an ugly name, it doesn't even start with a j

• Login to reply the answers
  • 5 years ago

When applying I think you have to use the name on your social security card/birth cirtificate. When you get hired you can just tell them you don't want that on your name tag

• Biff
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

yes - real name is required on application - you will need to show photo ID and soc security card if you are hired

• 5 years ago

You can request anything you want, they may, or may not take your request into consideration.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

legally you will need to provide your full name - how else would you expect to be paid ??

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.