promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentTechnology · 5 years ago

do you need computer science to be an environmental engineer?

i'm currently in gr10 and looking to maybe do environmental engineering. i was wondering if i need computer science??? i didn't take but i'm thinking that most likely you do need it. PLEASE HELP!!!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

CS, no; computer skills and expertise, yes.

You will encounter all kinds of modeling, including math, simulation, and mockups, in environmental engineering. And those require the best of analytical tools to do right nowadays. And that means computers.

Just look at your local weather person on TV for example. You see there dynamic simulations of weather and climatic conditions. Someone with computer skills and environmental science had to create those codes that create the weather maps.

Computer science is too much focused on numerical analysis, speed and storage rates, and computer architecture; none of which is needed for environmental engineering. Bottom line, you need the application of not the creation of computers.

• 5 years agoReport

thanks alot that really helped

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

Look at a university catalogue to find out. It can't hurt to have it but I'm not thinking it would be required.

• Jake
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

Some specialties that employ computers, like statistics might teach you all the computer skills you need, you don't need to learn to build a computer.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.