Do you think that Electric cars are a viable alternative to gas-fueled vehicles? (FOR A PROJECT PLEASE ANSWER)?

I am doing this for a project on whether people think that we should replace our cars with hybrids, please answer why or why not you think we should.thanks c:

Best Answer

No. It's very inefficient and inconvenient. You charge overnight and you're good for maybe 1 or 2 round trips, or about 100 miles or so.

What happens if your battery runs out of juice. It's not like you can call AAA and have juice pumped into the battery. With a gas powered car, Triple A can bring me a gallon of gas, and I'm ready to go.

If I'm low on gas, there are gas stations everywhere. The only place that have electric chargers are airports.

And if you don't live in a house, how are you going to charge the car? It's not like you can run an extension cord from your apartment to your car. What happens if you're parked several blocks away.

Until there are chargers everywhere or batteries become more efficient and more portable, it'll never catch on. Imagine carrying a battery from your car to your house or vice versa every day and night just to charge it.

What about the cost to charge a battery. I get an efficiency report from my electric company every few months, and as it stands, I'm near the bottom 15%. Out of 100 people, there are 85 people who uses less electricity than me.

• EV far more efficient than ICE, AAA does offer EV emergency charging, presently 45,000 EV charging stations worldwide and 2.4 million expected by 2020, you would carry the battery if it fit your hand: coming, Cheaper to charge EV than fuel ICE.

From an cost-benefits perspective, they are. The costs of operating an electric vehicle are a lot cheaper for most cases than the comparative one using an internal combustion engine.

That's not even considering the costs in pollution terms, the savings there would be astounding on their own.

People are just used to filling up cars with gasoline, and that's where the infrastructure is, but it's also where a lot of money is being lost to overseas dictatorships and corrupt corporate interests. It'd be a lot better if people were able to switch to non-IC vehicles. Even hybrid cars would be better.

• Troy

Well designed all electric cars can get theoretically almost 60-70% more miles per gallon of petroleum which would be used to generate electricity with which to charge the batteries in the electric car, The reason for this is that the gasoline engines used to power cars are only about 50% efficient. So, from a greenhouse gas emissions viewpoint, a reduction is achieved because of the more efficient use of the energy derived from fossil fuels burned in power plants instead of burning the fossil fuels in the less efficient auto engines. But make no mistake in understanding that the electricity to charge the batteries for electric cars comes from the grid which supplies electricity primarily generated via fossil fuel fired power plants. If most of the grid power were supplied by nuclear power plants, the savings in greenhouse gases would be much greater.

I would seriously consider a current electric car for commuting.

E.g. a family with 2 people working at different employers, neither on a good public transport route and too far to walk or cycle. One electric car, one hybrid car for longer trips or vacations. Assuming one could recharge at home in the suburbs, and maybe at the workplace.

Oherwise, one would need easily-exchangable battery packs, a much larger capacity, or a much faster recharge ability.

Few people drive more than a few hundred miles at a stretch; the ability to recharge while having a meal would be adequate.

No, I think electric cars are complimentary to conventional vehicles, meaning both have a place. Unfortunately many people who could benefit from electric vehicles, those that drive short distances on an occasional basis do not have a good selection of electric or hybrid vehicles currently. Neither should "replace" the other, just as sailboats should not replace motor boats.

not until battery technology gets into the 21st century