do mathematics and astronomy relate?

I want to get a phd in math and astronomy and i want to know if they relate, like if Im good at math, will I understand the universe?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • eri
    Lv 7
    5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Astronomy is a field of physics, and math is the language of physics. So yes, there's quite a bit of math in astronomy. However, you won't get two PhDs. I know on TV that means someone is 'extra smart' but that's not how it actually works in real life. In real life, a PhD is 6-12 years of grad school alone (not counting 4 for undergrad) of study in a very specific subfield of your field. You can't do two at once (one is often 60+ hours a week of work, most schools won't let you try to hold a job along with it) and applying for a second simply means you're throwing away all the work you put into the first. If you want to study astronomy, you'll major in physics in college, take classes in math, computer science, and astronomy, and then go on to grad school in astronomy, astrophysics, or physics. Quite a bit of math will be involved, but you don't need the advanced stuff like proof-writing.

Source(s): astrophysicist
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 5 years ago

No, Math has very little to do with the Universe but the Universe has a few things in common with math (fundamentally speaking) in that we can make certain observations and postulate theories about space that we can observe as being correct and predictable and we can subject it to a mathematical formula and then observe some more and then see if we did the math right. Obviously we've done this already and have been right time and time again.

• 5 years ago

Maths is required for astronomy

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

They do.

Unfortunately.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.