Capital Gain Tax on Stock owned more than 5 Years?

Hi,

I've owned a stock along the lines of $MSFT , $AAPL , $AEP , $CSCO , $GS and I own it for more than 5 years. From my understanding if you own it less than a year you pay more than you do if you own it between 1 and 5 years. For more than 5 years it is not so clear how much I need to pay (at least to me).

Thanks.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Bobbie
    Lv 7
    5 years ago
    Best Answer

Held or owned for MORE than 1 year and then sold with a gain would be long term capital gain LTCG and would be the best rate that you could qualify for during the tax filing season for that past tax year.

Forget about the more than 5 year period for this purpose.

Form 8949 and the schedule D using the information from the payer of the funds that will be reported to you on your 1099-B after the end of the tax year during the tax filing season for that past tax year.

Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful. 12/07/2014

• 5 years ago

You are correct in that you pay a higher rate for short term (less than 1 year) capital gains. There is not limit for the long term (more than 1 year) capital gains, so the 5 years is irrelevant. You will either pay 0%, 15%, or 28%(i believe, but not completely sure). The amount of tax you have to pay is based on your personal tax bracket. most people fall into the 15% tax bracket.

You will most likely have to pay 15% tax on whatever gains you receive on the sale of the stock.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

A year or less is taxed as ordinary income, higher than the long term capital gains tax on something earned over a year. There's no reduction for longer - owned 50 years or a yer and a day gets the same rate

• NA
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

For an accurate answer, see IRS publication 505.

Capital gains sold after a year and a day get a lower rate.

If your TOTAL income (including the gains) is less than $36900 (single), you will pay 0% on the LTCG.

If your TOTAL income before gains is more, you will pay 15%.

If your total income without gains is less than $36900, only the amount of gain that still fits into less than number gets the 0% rate. After you cross over to the 25% bracket, you pay 15%.

Recapture of depreciation (not applicable here) is capped at 25%.

Gain on collectibles (not applicable here) is capped at 28%.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

It's long term, flat 15%. Long term is anything over 1 year, 2, 5, 10, 50, whatever.

• 5 years ago

5 years is still part of more than one year. Short term is 1 year or less. Long term is MORE than one year so it has to be one year plus a day.

• 4 years ago

A lot of interested traders are asking themselves the question if you can really make money with binary options? The answer is that you can indeed make money in binary options trading. Learn here https://tr.im/7EJSl

Obviously this is a perfectly legitimate question considering that most people have not traded binary options in the past and generally believe that investing is a very difficult activity.

However, you will have to put an effort into it. You will have to learn money management, reading of charts as well as the usage of indicators.

• tro
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

its pretty clear, short term is holding stock for less than a year and selling, the gain is taxed at your ordinary rate

long term is a year or more, any number of years MORE, and the tax rate is 15% unless you have LOTS of gain(hundreds of thousands)

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

There is no "five year rule." A year or less is a short-term gain. All greater is long-term.

• Biff
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

long term rate is based on your tax bracket

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.