Another locomotive/ptc question?

Never been on a locomotive let alone operated one so go easy on me. I can only assume that especially on the newer loco's that every command given by the engineer is routed through the computer then on to servo motors, relays and all sorts of electrical components. With that said is there any direct or... show more Never been on a locomotive let alone operated one so go easy on me. I can only assume that especially on the newer loco's that every command given by the engineer is routed through the computer then on to servo motors, relays and all sorts of electrical components.

With that said is there any direct or mechanical means without electricity to stop the train. Like a valve to dump the air out of the brake pipe. Mabye that's what the e brake does. I really don't know? If not then I think who's awsome is 100% right in saying that crewless trains will come as a result of ptc. If everything is controlled electrically anyway with no mechanical fail safe then what's the sense of having a man on board. Dpu units are already man less. I see them go by my place sometimes and they look to operate fine. That raise's another question did all the guys on routine pusher units on grades get bumped after the railroads started using dpu? If the fra is making the railroads spend all this money on ptc and it enables them to run trains with no human input. Does anyone honestly think there not going to exploit it down the road. Yes the states could mandate crews but I would'nt trust the fra. Any federal agency and big bussiness is just a revolving door in today's world. Was surprised to see that BNSF reached an agreement with the union to go to one man crews already. That's not a good sign in my opinion. Well enough with my chatter. Any answers or comments are welcome.