Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 6 years ago

can blood stain white socks permantly?

Ok well i bought white nike socks and i had a cut on my foot.the blood stained my socks.i tried wiping it with water and a napkin.it sort of came off but it still has a red shade. I dont like it will it stain permantly? If no can i remove it simple wash in the washer?

Favorite Answer

One thing you should be aware of is that bleach won't help. Soaking in cold water, while the stain is still fresh, helps the most. If the stain is still fresh, and you haven't run it through the dryer, try soaking in cold water for a few hours, then wringing hard, then soaking in cold water for a few more hours, then wringing hard again, and keep doing that till the stain is completely gone.

If you dried it with the dryer, your best consolation is that white socks are cheap and easy to replace. Or you could try peroxide, which might help some. But why bother, when socks are cheap to replace?

some of the answers are right but you don't really need to soak overnight. just never ever use hot or even warm water. In California in the 99 cent store we have this great cheap product called Soil Love and if you get the socks wet you can put the Soil Love liquid right on the stain....let it sink in for some time then I scrub the stain with an old toothbrush or nail brush......rinse with cold water. or you could rinse with cold water and instead, you could soak in cold water with some added bleach. Just know if you use too much bleach it is going to break down the fibers of the socks and they will prematurely age. Kind of like me. :) When I do not have the Soil Love product, I use a bar of laundry soap. I used to use what my Grandma used , Fels Naptha --but I cannot find it anymore. So I use whatever strange bar of laundry soap I find in the store in the laundry detergent aisle. I think there is one called Liria or something (?) Again I rinse with cold water, get the bar of soap wet , rub into stain, brush with my little brush and so on .

No, it's a protein and a bugger to get completely out. Dab with hydrogen peroxide, let it fizz, keep using more. Then when you wash, rub detergent into the moist stain, let sit 10 minutes and then wash as usual. DO NOT dry until you know the stain is out. Heat sets the stain. If still there, repeat above. After twice you pretty much know it's not coming completely out.

• Gayle

Soak them in a solution of table salt and cold water (or warm water and then wait till it cools before using). Water with salt in it is great for removing blood stains--from cottons, at least.

No just soak them over night in cold water then wash them the next day and they will be no stains left on them.